Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Singular/Plural for Exact Matches

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello- Thanks in advance for the help.

I've read articles about close variants, but I believe this is a little different...

I have 3 exact match keywords in an ad group: [computer system], [computer architecture], [computer architecture design]

Noticing google is reporting out performance of computer system and computer systems with different performance results.

Is it a good idea to have: [computer system] and [computer systems]?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Exact match is supposed to also match to plural versions of the keyword.  But I have also noticed the discrepancy in reporting.  There are probably people on this forum that know the reason behind this and whether it is worthwhile to create plural versions of exact match keywords. 

The same question would apply to phrase match keywords. 

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Plural or not can mean a big difference in the intent of the searcher. In this case [computer systems] would be more looking for information, while [computer system] would lean more towards wanting to buy one.

So in your circumstance I would definitely run both versions, monitor conversions of each, and optimise individually.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I went ahead and added both version. The singular version turned out to be 3X more expensive per click. Is this normal?

Thx!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Bill H,

You first listed only the singular [computer system] and later on you also added its plural [computer systems].  

You mean the actual CPC of the singular tripled because you also added the plural?

If it really did it may sound a bit odd, however, that's because the plural stole the cheaper search terms and the singular was left with the most expensive ones. (Note that they probably carry more commercial intent also.)

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry, should have been more clear...

It was only in the plural form. I then added a singular (both exact match type) and the singular had 3X CPC. But, so far, its been a very small sample so I'll report back after a little more time.

Thx

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Looking forward to it ... 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well, so far Google is scoring the singular at 3/10 and the plural at 6/10. This might explain some of the price difference. Still very low volume though.

Thx!

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

I would expect that the singular costs more, as it is more likely to convert - so your competitors are willing to bid more.