Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Single Keywords in Phrase vs Modified Broad Match

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Just a shower thought type of a question

a single "keyword" and a +keyword would trigger the same search terms no matter what. 

example: "rose" and +rose would both be qualified to trigger: red rose for sale and rose reviews

is this true? 

if this is true which one would you use and why?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Boyang S
September 2015

Re: Single Keywords in Phrase vs Modified Broad Match

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello Boyang S,

It's truth, there is no difference between single word keywords in phrase match and modified broad match. Therefore it's up to you which one would you prefer.

Same goes for single word broad match and phrase match negative keywords. It does exactly the same thing and again it's optional, which one of these types you'll use.

Best regards,

Alex

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Boyang,

That's right, +keyword and "keyword" would trigger the same search terms. It shouldn't really matter which variation you use. Either variation would be triggered for the same queries as you mentioned above. It would really just come down to personal preference in how your campaigns were organized and how you would keep track of it to ensure that you didn't accidentally duplicate it by creating both.

For me, I would probably use phrase because I try to ensure that I have nearly every keyword in phrase and exact match. Then I use modified broad match for nearly all keywords (but not always all). That would just be my way of ensuring that I don't accidentally add it twice. Like I said, though, it wouldn't really matter which match type you chose to use.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello Boyang S,

It's truth, there is no difference between single word keywords in phrase match and modified broad match. Therefore it's up to you which one would you prefer.

Same goes for single word broad match and phrase match negative keywords. It does exactly the same thing and again it's optional, which one of these types you'll use.

Best regards,

Alex
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Boyang,

That's right, +keyword and "keyword" would trigger the same search terms. It shouldn't really matter which variation you use. Either variation would be triggered for the same queries as you mentioned above. It would really just come down to personal preference in how your campaigns were organized and how you would keep track of it to ensure that you didn't accidentally duplicate it by creating both.

For me, I would probably use phrase because I try to ensure that I have nearly every keyword in phrase and exact match. Then I use modified broad match for nearly all keywords (but not always all). That would just be my way of ensuring that I don't accidentally add it twice. Like I said, though, it wouldn't really matter which match type you chose to use.

Hope this helps!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks All!