5.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Similar landing page for search and display ads

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Is it a good idea to have same landing page for both search and display ads?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Similar landing page for search and display ads

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kapil

IMO, no problem until and unless you are advertising for the same product/services which is their on the page either from Search Network or Display Network.

Abhishek

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Abhishek,

Thanks for your feedback. So there should not be any problem in having same landing page for two different ads. I thought so. Thanks once again.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes Kapil, there in no problem in using same landing page for two different ads.

Happy to Help!

Abhishek

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

To share my experience, there is only one case when I use different landing pages, that is when Display Ads are for remarketing. In this case I think the user wants to find something different than what they have seen at the initial visit, perhaps a special discount, a special offer for loyal returning visitors. This perspective could be useful or not, depending on your goals.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Abhishek / Adrian,

It's good to see that fellow community members are really helping others with open heart to help them achieve their objectives. Proud to be associated with this community.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Kapil, it really depends upon what you're advertising.  Generally speaking Search clicks should be more precise in their intent than Display clicks because of how the two networks differ in their matching:  Search is based upon Keywords and can therefore be very precise, Display is contextural and therefore can be more generic.  For example (and a very simplified example) if you sold TVs, your Search Ads may be shown when there's a match against a specific Sony TV model and you'd want your landing page to be the page for that specific model.  In contrast, your Display Ads are possibly going to be simply advertising your company's products generally and you may therefore want to have these Ads landing on a page that shows all your TVs.

As with everything AdWords, there are so many variables it's really impossible to give a definitive answer.  For some Accounts it will be fine for Search and Display to share the same landing pages, for others it will make mroe sense to use a variety of different pages, some possibly being only targeted by Search.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Cobnut,

Adding to what Abhishek replied earlier, what if the end product or goal is similar? If I am diverting users to the same landing page through search and display ads with same goal in mind, shouldn't it increase my chances of getting leads? Because, I am adding an extra platform to my lead generation process. What's your view?

Kapil M

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I would encourage you to read about how other businesses set their Marketing objectives from this google resource.

http://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/

Your visitors at the first Ad click could be only in the stage of research and comparison, and a visit to your site helps you for the marketing objective of building awareness. After the first click they know you exist and they are informed about your advantages.

You may need a 2nd or a 3rd click to acomplish the marketing objective of Driving Sales, after they have gathered prices from multiple resources and they decided that your offer is worth a call.

It is difficult for the landing page to be crafted for all the marketing objectives, including awareness and drive sales. It usually should respond to a single marketing objective and allow the user to arrive at relevant information in less than a minute.

Because of this long chain of decision it would help you to enable conversion window of 90 days instead of the default 30 and to study the Search Funnels Reports , the Top Paths (Querie Paths) Report to view the sequence of search terms which lead to a conversion to better understand what your clients want from the landing page.

Maybe they are all searching for some feature through the words typed in the search engine and if you do not have that feature listed, they bounce.