AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Similar keywords with and without Location

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

AdGroup 1 has a keyword +roof +repair.  Leads to URL 1.

AdGroup 2 has a keyword +roof +repair +City. Leads to URL 2.

Bids are the same. Final URLS are different so I can utilize City.

Should I add "City" as a negative into AdGroup 1? Or AdWords is smart enough to employ only AdGroup 2 when user search term contains City in it? 

Thank you!

D.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

With BMM, add the city as a negative term. URL 1 / adgroup 1 may have the higher adrank, even for +roof +repair +City. With all other things being equal in your setup, the higher adrank wins, and both adgroups could qualify.

Tom

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Dmitry P;

Adding a location  as part of the keyword is a redundancy  to campaign Geo targeting setting (especially in  countries in which locations are fully mapped up to a zip code, like in the US).  I would avoid that to simplify the campaign setting and structure.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

To tomhaleir:

And when I do that, guess what Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool tells me when I do test for roof repair City?

"Can't show your ad for '+roof +repair' keyword, because it is blocked by negative word 'City' " Smiley Happy Looks like it doesn't even take '+roof +repair +City' from other AdGroup as a candidate for query matching. 

What am I missing? Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you but that was not what I was asking. I have my reasons to structure campaigns this way.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

hi Dmitry, 

What about changing BMM to phrase match where you are sure that "roof repair city" will show when they search that term. 

regards,

Zaby

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

It's a "discovery" campaign so BMM is a must here