AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Similar impressions and click through on previous month, but significantly less conversions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone, 

I'm just trying to understand why my conversions have gone down so significantly this month for a campaign I'm targeting. 

In the first half of October I was getting 30% click through rate with around 100 impressions on adverts. This month I am getting very similar. 

Yet last month I was had around 12 conversions at this stage and this month I have 3. Does anyone understand why my conversions could have gone down?

Many thanks for your help

2 Expert replyverified_user

Similar impressions and click through on previous month, but significantly less conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @david j,

CTR=30% sounds unbelievable, keep up the good standards!

Now ... provided you did not make changes to your ad campaign it seems that the drop in CR (conversion rate) is not associated with your AdWords expertise. You continue to drive the same right folks to the website (100 impr, 30 clicks and 12 convs in a given former period), therefore what happens is that nowadays they leave your website without converting. Hence chances are the glitch must be on the website proper. I'd look for something like a broken link I think. 

There is some minor chance that some unexpected outer reason may also cause a huge change in user behavior on your website. E.g. in extreme situations, some media coverage or a harmful TV campaign can change their psychological attitude towards your products or services in a short while.

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi David,

There could be many reasons for the sudden drop. Something to check, were the 12 conversions all unique? Sometimes conversion tracking wrongly assigns multiple conversions to a single searcher. The search term report can help with this.

While you are there, look at the search terms, because ultimately that is where your conversions come from. Where they from a keyword last month that isn't showing this month?

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

How much history do you have for this campaign/account? Was October a particularly good month?

If the campaign/account is fairly new (less than 90 days), then you're still in the figuring it out process. How much of the available budget is going to what works (or did work), and how much is being spent in non-converting areas? What KW's/targeting methods and ads(!) led to the conversions? What kind of ad rotation settings are you using? Devices, locations, what is your impression share, etc., etc.

If you have enough data to know what works, then make sure you are focusing on that first and foremost. If you need more time to accrue actionable data, then make sure your budget is at a level you can afford to continue to experiment with.

Tom