Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Significant performance drop following account restructure

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

I'm relatively new to the Google AdWords community but have been working as a Google AdWords analyst for the last year and a half.  I recently took on the management of an account my agency has had for the past 5 years. During that time, the account has become very messy and I was given the task of re-organizing our campaigns to improve management.  Here are some of the things I considered when restructuring:

1. Maintaining the same keyword footprint (I did not remove any keywords with impressions over the last year; made sure I maintained my top converting keywords)

2. Organized campaigns aligned to the navigation of the landing page

We launched the new campaigns a couple weeks ago (5/11), and instantly I saw a drop in impressions, clicks, and conversions DoD, despite maintaining the same Impression Share and positioning.  Keyword bids and budgets are actually a bit higher than what they were previously to max out spend. I figured this could be explained by these campaigns getting acclimated to the Google auction...

However, it has now been almost two weeks and impressions, clicks, and conversions still remain significantly lower than their levels before the restructure.  Could someone please guide me in additional areas to QA to make sure I am not missing any low-hanging fruit?

The aspects I mentioned above remained the same pre- and post restructure, as well as Google campaigns settings (same rotation, location targets, and search network settings)

Any feedback you could provide would be very helpful.  Thanks so much.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Significant performance drop following account restructure

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I have seen that several times when overhauling an account too fast with many changes at once (which, in this case as I understood, were a must).

AdWords is a system which "behaves" / "prefers"  a steady state. Taking the system "at once"  / in sharp steps out of a steady state could  cause variable(s) and   performances  diverge and drop. In these cases of a major "shake up", I sometime  recommend client(s) that it would be better to open and  new account "start  from scratch" than to restructure the account / campaigns.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply, it aligns with other articles I've read regarding restructures. In your experience, what is the amount of time you should let your new restructured account to re-align to Google's steady-state system?  I will continue to monitor and hope performance picks up - but if it remains lower a month from now, two months from now, etc, when should the red flags go up that there could be a more severe underlying problem with my account?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

This a good point. It's hard to say without looking at the account. Can you provide some statistics? (Number of campaigns, ad-groups, keywords, budget range....)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

~15 campaigns (8 brand/7 non-brand).  But the majority of spend is typically fueled by 2-4 campaigns. Number of ad groups vary depending on campaign, but range from ~30-60.  We're currently live with 1,800 keywords. Daily budget is $5K, but average daily spend is only around $2.5K.  

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

This is my rule of thumb: wait 4-6 weeks. You can continue and optimize. But make changes gradually and let the system stabilized after each round. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Moshe. I appreciate the feedback, that makes me feel a bit more confident with these changes in the environment I'm seeing. If other advertisers could also weigh in and provide thought, that would be most welcome.