Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Showing ads at 3rd position for all keywords

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

What is the way I can show ads for all keywords at between 3-5 positions?  We can use automated rules for this for example increasing each kw's bid to first page CPC. Anything else can I do?

Here is my scenario:

I've a 1000 keywords with different competition levels. The most competitive has CPC of say $6 at ad position of 1-3 while the least has CPC of around $.5 at the same position roughly.

If I set Adgroup's Max Default CPC high, my bidding will not be even for all keywords. If I enter this as $4 then the most competitive kw may be shown at position 8th at the same time the least competitive may win the top stop.

In short I set the max default CPC but it should be applied to each keyword in ratio to it's competitiveness - each keyword should get assigned different max CPC.

Any ideas/suggestions to optimize this way welcome.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Showing ads at 3rd position for all keywords

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

You can use the automated rules to get to the positions you want and it works pretty well.

You need 2 rules. One to increase to target position and one to decrease to target position

Raise bids on a % rather than a fixed amount with a max cpc to make sure it doesn't get out of control

use average position and impressions as requirements so you can control them.

e.g. raise bids 5% (max cpc $5)

requirements: Avg position worse than 2.2

requirement: impressions more than 5

frequency: daily using data from the previous day

I use this in quite a few accounts and I have to say it is working for me.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
What is the use of setting impressions to more than 5?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

The reason I set it to 5 is to give the keywords a chance of getting more accurate average position being reported.

Lets say you get your keywords shown 4 times at the following position;

Our average position has to be calculated from these positions. In this scenario our average position was 3.5.

If you set the rule based on the position 2 or 5 using very low impressions (say 1), the rule you set might not work the way you want it to.

The higher you can set the impressions, the more accurate it will be as it has a better data set to work with.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

How accurate is the average position prediction on which this rule will run(assuming my ads position is beyond 8)? For example when I see Estd. first page bid for a keyword it could be $6 as shown by Adwords interface but an actual click will most likely cost less ( say $3) .

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello;

Purefuzz already said it, but I want to add one thing. Dont trust the first page bid estimate!!! I have seen those being wrong by up to 100 times the bid needed  to have your ads placed. It is more accurate for competitive Keywords, but it is regularly way off on the long tail. The only time I use it is when I dont get any action on a keyword where I should, but otherwise the FPB estimate is useless.

Regards

SK

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
The first page bid does what it says, it's the requirement to have your ads be shown on the first page, they might still be shown if the user continues onto the 2nd page of search results. Obviously you are losing out on a lot of impressions because of this.

Just to add to what was already said about automated rules here if you haven't checked this out already: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497710

Karl

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hi purefuzz, i know its a bit late on this thread to post but i was just curious. do you use data from 'same day" or previous day? what is a good time to set that max cpc rule to adjust position? a while back we tested using the adwords api and it looked like google 'resets' the position reading somewhere around midnight every nite.

thanks for impression threshold info!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 9
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Outofbounds,

Not too late to jump in at all.

I have used data from the same day on occasion and I find it to be a bit to "jumpy" as you are only basing the rule on part day information. Think about the auction landscape and you'll notice certain advertisers will use their daily budgets by 1pm and drop out for the rest of the day.

You would have a different average position for the 1st and 2nd half of the day so you're rules might make changes you didn't want to happen.

I normally set the rules to run at 1am so the changes are made for the day starting.

Sometimes it's necessary to use data from the past 7 or even more depending on the search volume for your keywords so this is a bit of a dynamic requirement as well.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Purefuzz,

I have a few questions regarding this post:

1. Can I use this method with automatic bidding? Automatic bidding seems less expensive than manual bidding, I'd like to switch to automatic bidding if it will lower my costs.

2. Will it allow me to control my avg. position?

3. Will this apply to an entire adgroup?

Thanks in advance for clarifying, I really appreciate it!