2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Show your own ad on your own web site?

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

We run Google search in an iFrame on our web site where we also have AdWords for Search. I noticed we were getting clicks on ads with our own site as referrer. So I took a look at one of the pages. Sure enough, it's our search page results showing our own ad. In the last 30 days I've received 15 clicks this way, with about 53% exit rate. Only one page view was a referral from another site. One fellow did the same search 3 times. I'm paying for click from visitors who are already on my site.

My dilemma is there are no organic results for the particular query, only sponsored ads. If I block our ads from showing on our own web site, we wouldn't appear at all for the search query. So, I'm looking for a little advice.

Anyone else see this kind of behavior?

Would you continue to allow your own ads to show on your own web site, or would you block yourself as an advertiser on that site?

Thanks,

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Show your own ad on your own web site?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Peter, how are things?

I didn't understand why are you running Google Search in an iFrame. Can you give more details on this? Is a direct iframe to google.com page?

But anyhow, I'd definitely block myself from that site, since the user is already there. You're paying for someone that have already engaged with your website.

That's my thinking.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Re: Show your own ad on your own web site?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
That's the way Custom Searches work now, in an iFrame. We found it better to use Google search on our site than to build a search engine for it.

If I block myself, then no results for our web site will show. I suppose it's a matter of lost conversions.

Anyone else?

Thanks,

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords