AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Should we treat low CTR search partner keywords differently?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The majority of my impressions are from the search partners network, and generally the CTR is lower there.  I always pause low CTR keywords, but if I suspect they are from the search network should I in fact be keeping them? 

If a keyword's impressions are predominantly in the search network, Google knows this presumably won't treat the low CTR the same way it would a low CTR on Google Search?

I have a keyword with a Google CTR of 1.15%, that'll do, but it's actual CTR when the search partners aren't excluded is 0.30%. That's because 86% of the impressions are on the search network, and this keyword has a 0.16% CTR on that network. The weighted average is the awful 0.30%...

but maybe Google says, well this keyword has a terrible CTR on the network, his 0.16% isn't so bad?

I was doing to stop this keyword but discovering that 86% of impressions are on the network has given me reason to re-think...

What do you think? 

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Should we treat low CTR search partner keywords differently?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
The reasons for a low CTR are way more than just the keyword. That you've studied the data suggests that you can handle the stuff - so take a look at what it's trying to tell you rather than just the numbers.

Because a low performing keyword could be because
1) it's not relevant,
2) people aren't looking for it
3) your ads aren't performing well in this area - plus a dozen other things.

So have a look at the bigger picture - and rather than look at CTRs on their own, look at them in conjunction with WHAT IS WORKING FOR YOU. After all, that's the only measure that really counts, isn't it?

It doesn't matter a stuff what works for me, because I'm not you. What works for you is the key - and that is your better performing keywords. Researching what works will give you a feel for what your customers like, especially if your CTRs are over 5%. Dig into the data deeply and you'll find that you have some astonishingly high CTRs - and there will be geographic, demographic or other areas where it's high and low.

Study these, work out who's clicking and tailor ALL of your efforts to them.

So in a way, forget poor keywords; as the old marketers always said "go where the money is" - and the money's in your better keywords. Work out a strategy for them - and the answer to your question should be pretty obvious. That is to say, you can change your approach to other keywords (you'll have realized that most of them aren't relevant anyway) - there'll be one or two that have hidden secrets.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
In principle; broader look at your campaign performance, I agree with Gemma on the strategy to improve your CTR.
In practice ; for now I would exclude search partners from the campaign
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The majority of my impressions are from the search partners network, and generally the CTR is lower there.  I always pause low CTR keywords, but if I suspect they are from the search network should I in fact be keeping them?

Are you digging into search queries through "Keyword Details" Option In Keywords Tab? If you would do that, you would get all the queries triggering on your keywords?

Have You Thought Of Using "Matched Search Queries" From Analytics?

I have 3 simple questions for you -

1. Do You Have Negatives In Your Adgroups/Campaigns?

2. Do You Use Match Types Effectively?

3. You want Impressions? Clicks? Conversions? Decide your objective, you would know what to decide.

Hope this helps.Man Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It's a single-word, exact-match keyword.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Philip, sometimes (better put, more than likely) a few negative keywords should be added. Put your search term into Google and see what comes up that isn't relevant to your product or service.

That will narrow down the field and save you substantial sums of money.

Plus Chetan's thoughts on what you need - clicks, conversions or sales or whatever - is necessary here.

If you see the answer to your question in this discussion, please mark that post as an accepted solution so it can help others like you to resolve their issue in the future.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Gemma but it's an exact match and I'm not concerned about Google search for this keyword.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I understand that - my point in saying "Put your search term into Google and see what comes up that isn't relevant to your product or service" was to find NEGATIVES that would affect your campaign that is for the Google partner network.

It will improve your CTR on your Google partner network campaign. Usually the figure quoted is 20-25%. It can be better when done carefully, because it excludes places where it shouldn't appear.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
One should always add negatives. I have no reason to think that my single-word, exact-match keyword is going into auctions for anything but this [exact] word.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
My point about negatives is all about the connotations of the keyword. Whilst remaining an exact match, it's easy for people to use it out of the context you've intended. Hence my suggestion.

As long as this is understood, you do not need to respond to this comment. I'm sure there are others with more experience than I who may have other suggestions for you.