AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Should I worry that my "analyze competition" categories are off?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was just trying to use the "analyze competition" tab to compare my ad performance with similar advertisers, and I am given 4 categories.  Only one of these categories ("Law & Government") applies to my business in any way.  Although "Law and Government" sort of applies, this category only shows 2 subcategories  (namely "class action law" and "legal forms and kits") and these do not apply to my business either.  Should I be concerned about this?  If I were just setting out to logically characterize my business (a law office) I could

think of all kinds of other categories I would list which don't appear here.

I am especially concerned because I have an intractable problem with my "ad relevance" being too low and now I am wondering if that factor is low because my CTR is being compared to that of other businesses that are not really similar to mine.  So, my main question is whether this misclassification could effect ad relevance and if so, what I can do to correct it.  (I say "intractable" because I have already tried lots of stuff to improve ad relevance, all the stuff that is repeated everywhere online I have tried already.)

Also, a secondary question is should I just give up on using "analyze competition" or should I keep working at it to try to get useful information?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Should I worry that my "analyze competition" categories

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian C,

The "analyze competition" is for your reference only, to see how your performance compares to that category. It does not affect your QS.

There is only one thing you need to do to increase "ad relevance", get a higher CTR on the ad. It could be that your keywords are too unrelated to the ad copy to get clicks. Google doesn't really analyze the text of your ad and compare that to keywords to determine relevance. Rather, they use a "crowd-sourcing" model with a click being one vote for "relevance".

If you have a lot of keywords in a single ad group, and those keywords are sufficiently unrelated to the ad copy, thereby not generating clicks, that could be one of your problems.

QS is all about CTR. Everything else is a distraction. Your CTR is compared to competitors' CTR for the same keywords, no matter what business they are in.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Adrian C,

I'd not look into the analyze competition too much and I think I have a better way for you to look at you vs your competitors.

If you use the auction insights you are able to see which competitors are appearing on the same keywords as you. You are able to see these by checking the box beside a keywords (or group of keywords) and then clicking details followed by selected under auction insights.

auction insights.png

I have often found that the sites I manage have off topic categories in the analyze competition as well so you are not alone here.

Let me know if that helps you at all. I'm happy to answer any other questions you have mate.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

To add to the valuable advice you've already gotten, let me remind you that the "categories" in the Competition Analysis area are not really comparable to keywords.

You can see this when you drill down to the keyword level in that tool.  I've found tons of industry searches categorized under "Law & Government" and healthcare search queries categorized under Business & Industrial, etc.

I always drill down to the actual search queries to make sure those are appropriate. Aside from that, I don't bother much about how the system has the queries organized into categories--there are lots of mistakes but it's not anything any of us can affect or change.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*