AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Should I use quotation marks around my keyword phrases?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Wondering how many times I should list a keyword phrase in an ad group, eg. once using "quotation" marks, a second listing with [brackets], and third time with no marks, just the phrase. Any standard best done rule here?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Should I use quotation marks around my keyword phrases?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello jackman;

The strategy you are asking about, is probably the most common one among advertisers: Targeting all match types, and bid accordingly: the highest bid on exact match; and the lowest on broad match. (And between the two, to bid on phrase match.)

There are other strategies. However; if you are new the AdWords, I would stick with this one.

One comment: with so many synonyms behind "broad match". Use the search query report to eliminate irrelevant search terms that match the keywords (and triggered your ad). Based on this report, add negative keywords. (So your ad would not be triggered by a search terms that are irrelevant).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
..and if you use this strategy, I highly recommend changing that campaigns keyword matching options under settings to not include plurals, misspellings, and other close variants of exact/phrase matched keywords.

bob
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
bob
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What Moshe writes is good and I would tweak it one bit better.   Your CTR and QS scores will probably be lowest using "broad match" and analyze what they are for past week or so.

If you see lots of impressions but few clicks then OK,  but now adjust to a "Phrase match" ( quotations ) and then look a week later at your CTR and see if not higher, although overall impressions will be lower.  Generally speaking "exact" may cost you too many potential impressions but "broad" cost you CTR.  "Phrase" is the medium that provides best of both worlds of the 3. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi jackman, don't forget about modified Broad matches where you preceed each word with a plus sign (e.g. +red +widgets).  This match type requires that all words in the Keyword are searched, but they can be in any order or with any other words so, for example the search query buy widgets that are red and shiny would still trigger.

This match type is fast becoming my favourite as it combines the flexibility of a broad match with the tighter focus of a phrase match.  It's great for mining potential phrase/exact Keywords and negatives while not being as wasteful as a simple Broad match.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

bob
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
bob
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
can also do those + additions in parenthesis "/" for even better results

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Jon reminded about the modified board. I did not want to get into that in my first answer, not to make the answer more complex; but, I completely agree with Jon: With the classic "broad match" synonyms are included, and your keyword can match a search term (= a synonym of the KW) you have not thought of, and don't want to trigger your ad...Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’