AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Should I remove keywords with few page matches?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I've always wondered if there is any benefit to removing keywords from keyword targeted display campaigns if their status is "Few page matches". 

Anyone tried this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Should I remove keywords with few page matches?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Rosie,

I had some of such keywords and I never received clicks with them being part of the "contextual match" so they are pretty useless in the ad group where you have them now unless you change the other targeting factors.

Perhaps you could use them in another ad group combined with another targeting method to find more matched pages, if these make sense to you for the business you are promoting.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Rosie, generally speaking I tend to make such decisions based upon other factors such as conversion rate and CTR rather than simply because a Keyword is infrequently matching (either for Search or Display).  "Few" does not necessarily mean "bad" (or good!) so I'd look at other metrics to inform the decision.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is the key information why I never received clicks for these keywords, they are suspended by the system.

There will be no other metrics to measure for them :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/99482?hl=en

"Few page matches -- The keyword is temporarily suspended because it matches very few pages, indicating that the phrase isn't common in Display Network content."

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Cobnut and Adrian B. Here's a little more context to the situation: The keywords are in an adgroup that receives about 10 million impressions/month easy. There are 2 keywords that are driving all those impressions and about 8 that have a status of "few page matches" In fact, they have not received an impression in the last 4 months. To refine the question; Will I see even better results if I remove them from the ad group, or will it not matter to the active keywords since those with 0 impressions are not impacting Click-Through-Rate?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Rosie,

Those keywords will not impact your ad group performance, they are suspended by the system (as I wrote in message 4) . If by a miracle the websites you are targeting start to have a lot of pages about those keywords, their status might change and they could start matching and generating impressions.

I don't think they will impact your overall performance for that Ad Group but I would delete them.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Rosie, I hope you don't mind but I'd like to look "behind" this issue if I may.  2 Keywords generating 10m+ impressions a month and 8 in the same Group that don't appear to match any pages at all (or nearly) raises questions in my head about the focus of your Ad Group and the targeting of your Campaign.  While it's common to find one or more Keywords in a Group that perform noticeably better than others, the difference here is enormous and I'm concerned there may be other issues hiding in the shadows.

Can you share some details of the keywords themselves, particularly their match types?  If you don't wish to reveal your actual words, you may be able to use false or generic terms to replace identifiable words.

Jon

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

About "Can you share some details of the keywords themselves, particularly their match types?"

The described problem is about a  Display Campaign, keywords are not supposed to be using match types , are supposed to be only simple broad.

However there could be some interesting things to uncover if we study how many words are in those keywords. Another reason I suspect for receiving "few page matches" is the language of words not matching the targeted language of the campaign.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian, please allow Rosie to answer my question in her own way.  I had reasons for phrasing my question in the way that I did, surprisingly, I am aware of how Keywords work in the GDN.

Jon

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I see, ok, sorry.