AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Should I pause keywords that aren't triggering ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is my first AdWords campaign, and I notice that a lot of my keywords aren't triggering ads. Should I pause these keywords? Are they affecting my ad position? They are relevant to what the ad is about and the landing page, but still not getting clicks or appearances.

Any ideas?

Re: Should I pause keywords that aren't triggering ads?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi WCA A,

Why is it that your keywords aren't triggering ads? (There can be multiple reasons but if you hover over the speech bubble by each keyword it should tell you.)

The answer is that no, they aren't affecting your ad position. Each time someone searches on Google, an auction occurs. The auction only involves the keyword that is triggered by the searcher's query and is not affected by the other keywords in the account.

Here's a helpful video regarding the ad auction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOHTFRaBWA&feature=youtu.be

You can also learn more here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/142918?hl=en

If you share with us the error message that is causing your keywords not show, we may be able to help you figure out how to get them more impressions, though! Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello WCA-A,

As Amy rightly said, there may be multiple reason as to why the keywords are not triggering the ads. Are the keywords status read Low Search volume? or the keywords has a low bid?.

I also want you to check if the keywords that you have in the campaign are redundant, all keywords are in broad match type. Please furnish more information so we can help you accurately to the point.

- Prashanth Renigutala

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your suggestions. The error msg I'm getting is 'rarely shown due to low quality score' or 'this ad is triggering ads from another keyword'. The second msg has only just appeared after I took up a suggestion by Google to add in new keywords, suggested by Google which do double up a lot of my search terms. I've paused those new keywords. This account is being run through the Google for Not-For-Profits platform, so I can't change my bid amount. Suggestions welcome! Smiley Happy

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi WCA,

You definitely want to pause any duplicate keywords and it sounds like you've already done that. Sometimes Google's suggestions don't account for keywords outside of the ad group they are making suggestions for. (womp. womp.)

As far as low QS keywords go, different people suggest different things. Personally, I say if the keyword is generating conversions at an acceptable cost, keep it active. It may not show often but it will likely still show some. If you have low QS keywords that aren't showing at all, then the best bet would be to try to make changes to the landing page or ads to try to improve QS. You can pause them but it won't really hurt or help you, so it's more of a preference (in my opinion).

Like I said, as far as low QS keywords that are spending - it will just be a matter of whether they produce leads/sales at an acceptable cost. If the CPA gets out of control, or if they spend and don't convert, that's when I would pause them.

Hope this helps! Thanks for the additional context!