AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Should I Pause Or Delete Inferior Keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have heard and read conflicting advice about whether it is important to get rid of inferior keywords. I have several keywords in one of my campaigns which could potentially match somebody's search query, however, this would only happen on a rare occasion. I don't mind keeping those keywords active if they are not going to impair the success of my campaign but if they do impair the success of my campaign to even a minor degree then I would want to delete or pause them. I would appreciate some expert advice about this.

Thanks,

Christopher

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

hi @Christopher L, Yes, if you have such keywords, which have very bad performance, you may take the decision to pause in the campaigns. 

In addition of that, I would suggest you see the search terms of those keywords before pausing.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rakesh

With due respect you did not really answer my question. Of course I understand that I may pause the words but my question was whether the performance of my campaign is being impaired by leaving the inferior keywords enabled. If my overall performance is not being impaired I would like to leave the keywords enabled since there is a possibility that somebody may someday use one of them as his or her search query.

Regarding your second suggestion my inferior keywords have never gotten clicks so I don't know of any way to check on the search terms.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Christopher L,

Yes, your campaign performance is being Impaired if you keep running the non-performing keywords. 

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Christopher - 

mind elaborating a little on the "quality" of those keywords? What makes them "inferior"? Is it because they are hardly queried or low CTR or aren't converting? 

From a business perspective, if I had a long tail keyword that hardly gets queried but converts a lot because it's a bottom of funnel keyword, I'm keeping it even if it's quality score is low for whatever reason. I'm looking at metrics like CTR and conversion rate above quality score.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please but if the majority of my keywords in any given campaign are scoring well in terms of quality score, then one or two keywords with low quality score shouldn't affect the entire campaign at large should it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Rakesh

I would appreciate it if you could explain the following:

a) In what manner do the non-performing keywords impair the performance of my overall campaign?

b) What is the particular aspect, metric or value that gets affected in an adverse manner? The "expected CTR", or what?

c) Is the impairment minor or substantial?

d) Is there an ideal or minimum number of keywords, or is there a number that it is best not to exceed? (I have seen Adwords "opportunity" suggestions which seem to imply that less than 20-25 keywords is not good but on the other hand a very high number is also not good. I understand the low-side advice but not the high-side advice.) My concern is that if I buy into the notion that I need to have at least 20 keywords then it necessitates selecting several non-performing keywords.

Christopher

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Mack

I am using the word inferior to refer to keywords that would seldom be selected by someone doing a search query. The great majority of searchers would select the more traditional keyword that means the same thing. So far, there have been no clicks, let alone conversions. But nevertheless, I strongly suspect that once in a while someone might select the particular keyword I am calling inferior as his or her search query. I can't figure out how or why Adwords would impose a penalty on me for including such relatively non-productive keywords amidst the more traditional and productive keywords in my campaign.

Christopher

Re: Should I Pause Or Delete Inferior Keywords?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Christopher L,

Let's see....

First off, @Rakesh Kumar is correct in his reply to you. Anyone that uses AdWords professionally (agencies, etc.) are hyper aware of quality actions in all aspects of our accounts. So when you say inferior, we take that to mean junk, useless, low quality keywords. A campaign full of 1/10 quality score keywords is typically a low quality campaign. And most anyone would concur on the point that AdWords will deal unfavorably with a low quality campaign. They will charge you more and show you less. Quality matters.

However, we have to take your additional info supplied and take the conversation a bit further. If you have a bunch of 7/10, 8/10, 9/10 and 10/10 quality score keywords and some that are under 5/10 that rarely get used but when they do, they do convert (high CTR & conversions), then we keep them around and there is no harm in doing so.   

What we do is build out ad groups that are tightly defined by subject and we start with 1-10 keywords and refine every 4-6 hours (for life of campaign) to adjust keywords until we have no more than 20 keywords that all perform and all have a quality score of 7/10 or higher... ideally. I say ideally since each situation differs and being flexible while being complex is what we prefer. Would I be happy to have 50 keywords and seeing 5 perform and the rest sit there? No. Would I be happy to have 20 keywords and see 16 perform and 4 rarely perform but when they do they convert? Sure. As long as the majority of my actions are performing and with quality in mind... I am smiling. 

When it is discussed that you review the search term report, this is one of the tabs under the main keyword tab. You have keywords, negative keywords and search term report. The search term report shows the actual search performed that brought your traffic. Pretty awesome report, really. 

So we use the search term report, CTR, quality score metric, interaction rate metric, ad relevance metric, land page experience metric and search Lost IS (rank) metric. These metrics are only displayed when you modify your columns in your dashboard to show them. Go to the keyword tab and then click on the drop down menu called Columns and then modify columns. You can do the same for ads, campaigns, etc..

The thing to remember about AdWords is quality. Everything you do should be focused on quality actions that bring a very favorable return on investment.... for you and for AdWords. AdWords is actually focused on the searchers quality, in providing them a great user experience and it is your job to provide the assets to AdWords so they can do that. When you do that, the system will reward you by increasing your quality score, charging you less and showing you more. This becomes a win-win for all.

All of this is what AdWords is truly about. @Mack A is spot on with his addition to this thread as he has found out how to be flexible and complex with his actions. Smiley Happy He is concerned about the quality score of his keywords but he is weighing that metric against other metrics that matter to him, too. 

Campaign quality pro tips: Use 3-5 ads per ad group... and 1-20 keywords (up to 25 max). Use all of the ad extensions that you can. Study all 16 sections in the Dimensions tab (change drop down menu called View: Day) as this is where you will learn more about your performance.   

I hope this provides some help to you.

Kind Regards,

James