star_border

Shopping campaign

[ Edited ]
K M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
K M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For a while now I have noticed that only certain of our products in the same category come up over and over again in google shopping.  I would like to change the order in which our particular products appear as quite often one of our least favourite products is showing in preference to one of our most popular products.

Here's an example:

In a generic search for "jumper" our spotty jumper always appears but the stripey jumper (which is a best seller) never shows up.  There is nothing wrong with our stripey jumper listing as if you search "stripey jumper" it appears. Even tweaking the bid amounts so that the spotty jumper has a much lower bid amount than the stripey jumper makes no difference.  Deleting the spotty jumper from the product feed doesn't help as then none of our products are shown in the spot previously occupied by our spotty jumper.

Any suggestions?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Shopping campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @K M have you examined your Search Terms data for the Campaign(s) in question?  Bear in mind that which Ads are shown are driven by the customer query and the matching details in your feed.  If you look at the Search Term data (for a reasonable period/data sample) you may get some clues to what's going on.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Shopping campaign

K M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
K M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

where can i find the search term data for a shopping campaign

Re: Shopping campaign

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @K M log into AdWords and select the Campaign you want to check.  Choose the "Keywords" tab, then you should see a button labelled "Search Terms" just beneath the top layer of tabs.

Make sure you choose a good long period of data (several months, if possible).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Shopping campaign

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Google Shopping only gives you a limited capability to control which product is displayed, even changing the bids will often have limited effect.  As has been pointed out, Google is matching the search term to your feed.  The TITLE of your product has a heavy weighting to what is matched, more than anything else, studies have shown. 

Sometimes it is necessary to break shopping campaigns out into multiple campaigns, running at different priority levels, to gain more control over which products are displayed and how much ad spend (budget) is allocated to advertising particular products.  This is why Google provides the PRIORITY settings for campaigns, on the SETTINGS page.  There are several ways you can provision this, one of which is to run the same products (same feed) in two campaigns set to different priorities, with different bidding strategies. There are three priority levels. 

Shopping campaign

K M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
K M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why is it possible to put individual bids on individual products if this has no effect? 

Shopping campaign

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I did not mean to imply the bid never has an effect.  It does. However outside of a certain range it will no longer have an effect.  There is a "below threshold", the active bid region, and "above the bid range".  The middle range typically is where you will see an impact from changes in the bid. 

A PPC expert in the UK wrote a paper about it, you kind find it online - includes charts illustrating this phenomenon which is natural to PPC. 

A good practice is to set your bid near the "Benchmark CPC" number, then monitor your search impression share and click share as you raise it to monitor the impact, if any.

Shopping campaign

K M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
K M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks to be fair you did say it has a "limited effect" so I was wrong to say "no effect"!  I'll try increasing the bid differences.

Shopping campaign

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Sometimes when a shopping campaign has too many products for the allocated budget, the ad spend will get consumed before the product you are focused on has a chance.  Make sure that there are no products dominating the click budget. 

Sometimes it is necessary to partition shopping campaigns into multiple campaigns, or use multiple priority campaigns, to better control the allocation of click budget.