AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Shared negative keyword lists limits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In AdWords there is limit of 20 shared negative keyword lists per account, every one of them can have up to 5.000 keywords. Additionally, there is also constraint of 10.000 negative keywords per campaign. Is it possible to combine multiple negative keyword lists in such way that they all together contain more that 10.000 keywords in one campaign?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there,

It looks like the way to find out is to try, as I can't find this information in Google's help files.

I'm guessing this is a theoretical question? It would be unusual to need so many negative keywords. If you did need that many, that would usually be indicating that you should structure your campaigns differently and put more effort into choosing keywords. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

It's not just theoretical. I'm trying to create positive list for my shopping campaign and only way to achieve that is with combination of negative keywords and campaign priorities. Unfortunately, there are a lot keywords that needs to be excluded in order to get virtual positive list.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Krešimir S,

The limits set with AdWords are hard & true, so you will need to work within the constraints of them.

Negative keyword limits

• 20 shared negative keyword lists per account*
  • 5,000 keywords per negative keyword list*
  • 10,000 negative keywords per campaign

I have never seen the limits breached or heard of it being possible. As Rob suggested, most would work on the campaign structure to best work with the limitations set. 

Hope this helps,

James

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Krešimir S,

Just making sure that you know about broad negatives...

If you don't want you ad to show for any search query that mentions "widget", you just need the one negative:

widget

You don't need to add:

[red widget]

[blue widget]

[green widget]

etc...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm aware of broad negatives. What I would want in this example is to bid differently on different widget keywords. e.g.

widget - 0.1$

red widget -0.2$

green widget -0.3$

blue widget -0.4$

All of this keywords would match single product but I want to bid differently depending on user search term.

In order to achieve this "virtual positive" list I need use others as negative and adjust campaigns priorities.