AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Shall I pause or delete keywords after moving them?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to optimize my company's Adwords account which was not created by me. There are some keywords that do not belong to the existing adgroups so I want to create new adgroups and move them there, basically by copying and pasting. but what shall I do with the old keywords in the old adgroups, shall I pause or delete them?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Shall I pause or delete keywords after moving them?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rana,

The key difference between pausing and deleting for Keywords is that deleted Keywords cannot be re-enabled, whereas paused ones can be.  So, the decision depends upon whether you're sure you won't change your mind about moving them and/or whether you feel it will matter (from a historical data point of view) if you had to create the same Keyword(s) anew in the Group they were previously running in.

To avoid the decision, the easiest option is simply to pause them.  I very rarely delete anything.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Jon for your input.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Rana,

This is an issue we run into if/when we restructure new client accounts. I agree with Jon, more often than not, it makes the most sense to simply pause the keyword at the start. This gives us a couple options:

1. If we decide the keyword made more sense in it's original place, it's easy to reactivate. 
  2. Sometimes, not often, but sometimes moving a keyword into a new place within an account can cause performance on that keyword to vary widely from previous levels. If this happens, reactivating the paused keyword allows us to reactivate to maintain performance levels, then resume the account restructure in a piecemeal fashion. 
  3. After a reasonable amount of time, if we decide that we'll never need to reactivate the keyword in it's original position, we can go back and delete it. 

Hope that helps. Good luck with the account optimization.