2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Set to rotate evenly? I think not!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a question.  I have a Display ad only campaign that has 10 different ads within one ad set.  Each of these ads have different pictures, but the same exact keywords.  I also have the campaign set to distribute the ads evenly WITHOUT optimization.  The reason I did it this way is because my original intention was to see which picture seems to generate the most traffic.

However, even though keywords are identical and things are supposed to be distributed more evenly, they're not.  The top ad always seems to generate 90%+ (And often times close to 100%) of the impressions.

So, is it due to that being the latest ad that was uploaded that it is concentrating primarily on that one....

or is it because the top ad is a slightly different size?  (250 x 250 as opposed to 240 x 400) and that ad size is being favored?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jonathon J
September 2015

Re: Set to rotate evenly? I think not!

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

Yes, different ad sizes are going to perform differently--sometimes very differently. If you want to test your images against each other, you need to make sure you have your different images available in the same ad sizes.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Will do. Thank you!

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

For what it's worth, I'd also suggest that you test no more than two images at a time, to avoid muddying up your results. 

Test two, pick the best and pause the rest (rhyming quite by accident!). Then load ads with a third image and test performance for the new image against the original. Repeat as needed.

It's also worth mentioning, I think, that you may well find that images perform differently in different ad sizes. One image may do well in small ads or in banner-style ads, while another works better in skyscraper or large rectangle ads. Putting together a body of image ads that perform well can take some time!

Good luck.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Jonathon,

Just to add to Theresa's replies, it may also be worth bearing in mind that rotating evenly doesn't attempt to give each Ad the same number of impressions but rather enters them into the same number of auctions.  In many cases, it ends up as effectively the same thing, but where you're dealing with a limited number of ad slots - as can happen on the GDN - it can mean that Ads with a lower QS can fail to win an auction more frequently, which could explain why even given the same number of auctions, some Ads get more impressions than others.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Set to rotate evenly? I think not!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the detailed comment! I am still having some trouble my scenario is below:

1 Display Campaign

3 Ad groups (Selling One Car with three different deals)

Everything is set to even rotation, but consistently one ad group gets ALL the impressions and when I clone the campaign it seems to pick the "winner" at random. Any suggestions to evenly disperse the display campaign impressions across all three ad groups?

*I have one theme in each ad group with all the different sizes (ie No payments for 90 days, 0% Interest for 84 Months, & Outlander Blowout Event)