AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Set to pay max CPC and have relevant ads but still get very few impressions.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We are in a vitamins industry to promote a certain brand product. The problem is every distributor is owning a web site from the main company and the web site using a subdomain under main. While many distributors tried to use google adwords campaigns to promote their web site, but only few of them ads will be displayed. Per google adwords support they are all under main domain so only one can be displayed at one time for user experience.

So if you type keywords "usana" or "usana vitamins" in google, it always one site(buytoday.xxxxx.xxx) will be displayed on top all the time. The site has been there for long time and may be having the advantage to others. So the questions is how do we increase our chance to get the ads displayed?  We have tried to max the CPC for those keywords cost and also increase the quality score by making the text more relevant, but none of them works - we still get very few impressions so clicks(even though the click through rate is 10%+).  It seems that google only give impressions to one for multiple subdomains under same main domain.  So do we ever have a chance to get more search impressions? If so how?

Thanks a lot...

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Re: Set to pay max CPC and have relevant ads but still get very few impressions.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

There is no gaurantee your ad always will get 1st position for keywords, but you can have top three positions. In order to check what should be estimated bid for top positions, click on Keywords tab and then click on columns and then customize coulmns and then at Attributes add Est top page bid and then save. Now you can see one more column which will show you what you need to bid in order to show your ad in top position.

CTR of 10% is very good for a campaign, in order to get the maximum exposure of ads I'll suggest you to create more high themed ad groups having relevant keywords and ad texts. Also check the Impression share, Lost IS Budget, lost IS Rank report  at dimension.

But yet if you are looking for more impressions or display of your ad i'll suggest you to choose the display network for your campaign, if you are not using yet. Buy slecting the Broad reach you can show ads on pages that match my primary targeting method you can reach the maximum audience. For search network it would be better if you concentrate more on CTR than impression.

Hope this will help,

Dinesh
My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Re: Set to pay max CPC and have relevant ads but still get very few impressions.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

As Heta said, a different domain would be the easiest way, as you could get your ads shown along with the current winning distributor.

If you cannot do that, then it'll be quite an interesting endeavour. These are the key factors that you have to watch:

• High relevance. Look for the most relevant keywords which deal with the product, and create separate ads for each small group. Ideally, for every keyword. Exact match first. You don't want to bid for antioxidants in general, but rather specifically for your product. 10 keywords in an ad group, in your case, will probably fail. You can even go for match type separation afterwards (one ad group for exact, one for phrase, one for broad), if you want to capture more of the market, but you'll need to start with exact matches. The keyword tool should tell you which are the keywords, that are relevant for your product, with a decent/high search volume as exact match.
  • Try to work on the landing page, in case not all distributors have to use exactly the same content on it. Add a bit of text here, and there, where possible, but make it original and relevant, don't do any boilerplate text, stuffed with keywords.
  • Use sitelinks, don't even start your campaigns without them.
  • Bid over the first page bid CPC initially, wait for a few hours and see how the Quality Score stabilizes. Hopefully at 5 or higher.
  • The fact that you do get some impression and clicks is a sign that the current auction winner is not showing ads for each and every search you're bidding on. What you need to do, in this case, is to use a huge daily budget combined with very relevant keywords and ads, and a high enough CPC (raise it until you get the clicks, unless your keyword diagnostic tool shows you some problems). The math is simple: the AdWords system has a look at the daily search volume for a certain keyword, the CPC, and the daily budget of each advertiser. If budgets are not high enough to cover evey search, it refrains from showing some ads for some searches. And that's when you need to step in.
  • Your ads have to be very enticing, otherwise you'll get a few chances to show your ads, won't get the clicks, and it'll be even more difficult to show them. CTR's importance is paramount. Study your competition very carefully, make screenshots if necessary, and make sure your ads, if shown next to them, will blow them away. Tell the searchers why you're special, or why your product is special.
  • Target only the places you know for being profitable. If you don't sell in smaller cities, don't target them. You can expand later.
  • Place remarketing tags on your website, even if you don't use them right away, it'll help you retarget users across the display network, where maybe competition is less strong.
  • Set up a budget you're willing to allocate to this attempt to dislodge the current distributor, and use it. It may or may not work, depending on whether she/he is a forum member as well or not Smiley Happy.

There may be other tactics, these are a few that came to my mind currently.

Good luck!

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

There is no gaurantee your ad always will get 1st position for keywords, but you can have top three positions. In order to check what should be estimated bid for top positions, click on Keywords tab and then click on columns and then customize coulmns and then at Attributes add Est top page bid and then save. Now you can see one more column which will show you what you need to bid in order to show your ad in top position.

CTR of 10% is very good for a campaign, in order to get the maximum exposure of ads I'll suggest you to create more high themed ad groups having relevant keywords and ad texts. Also check the Impression share, Lost IS Budget, lost IS Rank report  at dimension.

But yet if you are looking for more impressions or display of your ad i'll suggest you to choose the display network for your campaign, if you are not using yet. Buy slecting the Broad reach you can show ads on pages that match my primary targeting method you can reach the maximum audience. For search network it would be better if you concentrate more on CTR than impression.

Hope this will help,

Dinesh
My Blog

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,
If you are open to creating a separate landing page with a different domain, this should help you to a large extent. Google disallows multiple ads from the same domain (in spite of different subdomains) to maintain better user experience. Therefore, it will penalise your account (the newer account) when you bid on the same keywords as the older account and not show your ads.
-Heta
Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

As Heta said, a different domain would be the easiest way, as you could get your ads shown along with the current winning distributor.

If you cannot do that, then it'll be quite an interesting endeavour. These are the key factors that you have to watch:

• High relevance. Look for the most relevant keywords which deal with the product, and create separate ads for each small group. Ideally, for every keyword. Exact match first. You don't want to bid for antioxidants in general, but rather specifically for your product. 10 keywords in an ad group, in your case, will probably fail. You can even go for match type separation afterwards (one ad group for exact, one for phrase, one for broad), if you want to capture more of the market, but you'll need to start with exact matches. The keyword tool should tell you which are the keywords, that are relevant for your product, with a decent/high search volume as exact match.
  • Try to work on the landing page, in case not all distributors have to use exactly the same content on it. Add a bit of text here, and there, where possible, but make it original and relevant, don't do any boilerplate text, stuffed with keywords.
  • Use sitelinks, don't even start your campaigns without them.
  • Bid over the first page bid CPC initially, wait for a few hours and see how the Quality Score stabilizes. Hopefully at 5 or higher.
  • The fact that you do get some impression and clicks is a sign that the current auction winner is not showing ads for each and every search you're bidding on. What you need to do, in this case, is to use a huge daily budget combined with very relevant keywords and ads, and a high enough CPC (raise it until you get the clicks, unless your keyword diagnostic tool shows you some problems). The math is simple: the AdWords system has a look at the daily search volume for a certain keyword, the CPC, and the daily budget of each advertiser. If budgets are not high enough to cover evey search, it refrains from showing some ads for some searches. And that's when you need to step in.
  • Your ads have to be very enticing, otherwise you'll get a few chances to show your ads, won't get the clicks, and it'll be even more difficult to show them. CTR's importance is paramount. Study your competition very carefully, make screenshots if necessary, and make sure your ads, if shown next to them, will blow them away. Tell the searchers why you're special, or why your product is special.
  • Target only the places you know for being profitable. If you don't sell in smaller cities, don't target them. You can expand later.
  • Place remarketing tags on your website, even if you don't use them right away, it'll help you retarget users across the display network, where maybe competition is less strong.
  • Set up a budget you're willing to allocate to this attempt to dislodge the current distributor, and use it. It may or may not work, depending on whether she/he is a forum member as well or not Smiley Happy.

There may be other tactics, these are a few that came to my mind currently.

Good luck!

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.