AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Session-Based Negative Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Heyhey, I'm just wondering how Negative Keywords work within a session...

For example:

User searches for 'litigation lawyer' (search #1), and I have a negative keywords of 'litigation'... thus my ad doesn't show.

Yet, in that same session, the user searches for 'lawyer consultation' (search #2), does my ad appear?

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Session-Based Negative Keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Negative keywords will "counter match" the search query irrelevant to the number of searches done.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi there,

I guess it depends on what your keyword and match type is, for the query which you are saying will trigger either of the below ads. I.e. What is the original term within AdWords? It would have to be a phrase or broad match of sorts if it's to potentially trigger either of your below searches. Below you talk about what users search for, but not what your set term is.

Google shouldn't exclude the user based on their search history on your second query, if their search term is relevant to what your original term is.

It's a complicated area and that's just my take on it. But essentially if 'litigation' doesn't appear in the second search term, it should stop it from showing.

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Ah sorry, Moshe posted an answer while I was taking a long time to type my answer Smiley Happy 

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Jack  added an important point; obviously whether the negative KW is "active" or not depends on the (negative) KW match type;

I assumed that the negative KW is eligible to be active in all search queries: If so as said, the number of search queries is irrelevant

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Leo,

Yes, I also think "number of searches" doesn't matter. Suppose I am running campaign for Nokia Cell Phone and I have apple in my negative broad keyword list. For example: someone searching for (search #1) "cell phone under $599" and eligible to see my add. Next search #2 for query "apple iphone under $599" not eligible to see my ad search #3 "nokia lumia 940" eligible to see my ad.

Thanks
Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No such thing as session for negatives - your ad will show