5.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Serving of ads not relevant to my keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A competitor complained that my ads are served when his company name is typed in to Google search bar. I do not have his company name (two words) as a key word or even either word seperately or in a phrase. I am pretty sure I dont have it as a metatag on the site either. How can this happen? Apart from annoying a competitor (who is also an old friend) I am paying for irrelevant searches.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Serving of ads not relevant to my keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dreamteamsa,

Welcome to the community!

Good question, although a bit odd to me as business is business and it is technically perfectly fine for you to bid on your competitors brands etc...not that you are...but it is okay.

I think what may be happening here is a function of broad or phrase match keywords.  Let's say you and your friend both own competing toy stores:  His is Fred's Toy Shop and yours is Dream Toys.  Chances are that both of you will be bidding on toys and related terms.  If you happen to have toy(s) as one of your keywords in broad match or phrase match, your ads will most definitely show up for a search for 'Fred's Toy Shop' - the term toy is in the search query.

If you have an agreement and you're both willing to not show ads if the other person is, you can use negative keywords to exclude searches that contain each others brand name.  The reality is, I have a feeling there will be some overlap regardless. 

If you're both in the same business, wouldn't you be bidding on the same keywords?

Also, if it is a competitor, how could those searches be irrelevant?  Aren't you both in the same business?

Let me know if you have any followup or further questions.

Hope this helps!

Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tom I appreciate your reply. Call me old school but I think its a bit sneaky to bid on a another companys brand name. If I sell Toyota and I try and snare someone that searches Mercedes it doesnt seem right. I am trying to cheat the searcher and hijack the people they were looking for. Anyway I also respect your view and maybe I am too soft. But the point is I don't think your hypothesis is right. I dont want to give specifics away but this is similar to the situation

My company is called Dream Toys. His company is called Brown Bags - My ads show for search "Brown Bags" or "brownbags"

We would both target TOYS in a big way but we don't target Brown or Bags (though we have a keyword phrase " Toys Singing  Browning" and I think he would too. Now you may say that could be the reason - both of us have a common target. The thing that annoys me is that I don't want him to be dictating what ads are served and what clicks I pay for. To take an extreme example a company could be called  "Total Crooks" they open adwors campaign and have a key word " Toys Singing  Browning" and someone searches "Total Crooks" my company name appears! Thats crazy!

Hope I have made my myseld clear - I am getting confused myself! I did know about negative keywords and that would be a great solution as it would not affect what I am really after BUT I would love to get to the bottom of this.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Again,

Ok - brand bidding discussion aside.

You have to find the keywords in your account that best match whatever your buddy is searching for.  There has to be something close and relevant.  If this is a common issue and you have received actual clicks on your ads for these actual search queries, you can try running a search terms report (with the keyword tab enabled) to see which keyword is matching these search terms.

Otherwise, I'm not so sure what to tell you.  If you have broad match keywords, they can and will be matched to search queries that are "synonyms, related searches, and other relevant variations".

One last thought. Maybe if you can find the ad that is showing, assuming it is unique to a specific ad group, you could narrow the search that way?

Clearly, we here cannot access your account and I understand you don't want to share details but without them, I think we're going to have trouble digging any deeper and helping you. 

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tom

I would be happy to send you details privately but not good in open forum I fear. I would also be happy to grant you access to the account - my curiousity outweighs the risk of that going bad based on your status in the community. I am sure though that you have better things to do!

Regards

Gerry (Not a pseudonym!)

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Gerry,

I'm sure I can find some time today to make some sense of this for you.

My email can be found here on my community profile.  Let's start with you sending the details of the searches, some general keywords in your account and the websites involved.  If I need to look at your account to figure this out, we can address that as well.

Thanks,

Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author dreamteamsa
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Gerry,

As I emailed you earlier, I believe the cause of this is due to a broad match keyword.  There are a couple of options for you but they all have to do with the keyword match types you employ in your account.  

Let me know if you need anything further.

Thanks,

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tom

Very happy with your explaination but not happy with Googles propensity to put 1+1 together and get 2.5. I really thought it was more sophisticated though I accept (and I have learned something new) that broad match is a kind of catchall. I knew about negative keywords but feel you sometimes need a crystal ball to predict what might trigger an ad. Thanks for the heads up on "modified broad match" - I am sure that will do the trick

All the best

Gerry