Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Separating Mobile & Desktop Traffic

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an account that has a Desktop site (www.) and a seperate Mobile site (m.). Currently we use 2 different analytics profiles to track the 2 different sites.

We are contemplating separating our Adwords account in order to separateMobile traffic into a separate Account given that it is a different site, with a different tracking code and its own budget. Our thinking is that it will be easier to manage the budget; allow us to report more accurately as well as better optimize our mobile performance like this. 

Does anyone have any advice/tips or reasons we should not do this??

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Separating Mobile & Desktop Traffic

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Chris,

That's actually a great idea and also a best practice for the Analytics folks.
You should create 4 Views in your GA property as best practice Main(combines the desktop and mobile traffic) view, Desktop Only view, Mobile Only view and RAW(no filters that combines the desktop and mobile traffic) view

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply, completely agree!

Perhaps I should have been more specific though, I was referring to separating AdWords accounts. for Mobile and Desktop traffic.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi chris,

Advertising the same business with same target location and keywords from different adwords account comes under double serving policy.

So, you create a separate campaign instead within the same adwords account with mobile preferred ads and mobile website final url.
For mobile campaign, lower down you CPC bid so that you can have as minimum impressions as possible on desktops and tablets but as the same time use device bid adjustments with +300% to get maximum impressions on mobile devices.

Though you can have separate thankyou/success page for both the campaigns to track the conversions in a better way.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’