Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Separate campaigns for match types

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

I usually create separate campaigns for exact match and modified broad match and exclude all keywords in the exact match campaign from the modified broad match campaign as negative exact.

My understanding is that the modified broad match campaign now shows up for queries that includes the keywords, but does not for the exact queries. Can anyone tell me if this is correct?

My Google sales rep told me that excluding the exact keywords (say, food) from the modified broad keywords (say, +food) is a contradiction by itself and prevent the modified broad campaign from showing up in a variety of queries. Also he stated that by removing the negative exact keywords, keywords in the modified broad campaign will receive higher quality score. 

Thanks,

Rion

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Separate campaigns for match types

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Rion,

Though its a good practice to use the keywords as negatives in other campaigns which are main keywords of a campaign, if your are creating campaigns on the basis of match type.
But using single word will contradict.
Example:
+food or Food are almost the same.
So instead of using only '+food' you should use '+ term +food' for effective results.
Same is to be followed with negative keywords.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author rionaoki
November 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Rion,

The campaign structure you are talking about is fine, there should not be any problem as long as the negatives are placed correctly. Your understanding for doing it is completely fine. 

In terms of single word, @Archit M has already given you the correct suggestion. Let me explain it in terms more than one word keywords. 

Supposing you have [order foods online] as the keyword in Exact Match adgroup and your BMM adgroup has +order +foods. Here adding [order foods online] in the BMM adgroup is completely fine. This is to make sure that there is no conflict when users' search query matches order foods online keywords. The exact match keyword would get the preference.

However, if BMM has +order +foods +online as the keyword, and you are adding negative for exactly the same keyword in exact match as mentioned above, it may be a contradiction and no wonder if the system gives you notification for the same. But practically, it is still fine as your BMM would trigger ads for search terms like order foods online in bay area, but would not trigger for order foods online.

It's about the performance, if you see good performance in your present set up, it's well and good. As far as it's about the strategy, it's fine to me. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you for quick responses, @Archit M and @Ratan-Jha.

However, if BMM has +order +foods +online as the keyword, and you are adding negative for exactly the same keyword in exact match as mentioned above, it may be a contradiction and no wonder if the system gives you notification for the same. But practically, it is still fine as your BMM would trigger ads for search terms like order foods online in bay area, but would not trigger for order foods online.

I want to show different ads for "order foods online" and "order foods online something" and also track each performance separately. To achieve this, it seems to me that excluding [order foods online] from +order +foods +online is the most certain way, although probably an overkill (exact match takes priority anyway)... 

Thanks,

Rion

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Yes, that's how you are structured right now. Different ads (from diiferent adgroups) would triger for those two queries in question. As I said you are fine this way. Let it run. Thanks Ratan

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
And to show different ads for each keywords, you have to use different adgroups/campaigns and use the keywords match types and corresponding negatives properly.(as per your campaign structure)
you can not place them in same adgroup as any (most relevant) ad may trigger for any of the two keywords.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
My question is why separate campaigns and not separate ad-groups based on match types within the same campaign?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hi MosheTLV ,

Actually in the 1st post by Rion, it has been mentioned by him that he creates separate campaigns on the basis of match type. Even I have mentioned it too : "as per your campaign structure)
I know it can perform well at adgroup level but for that there will a requirement of restructuring the campaigns.

Regards

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @MosheTLV,

I separate campaigns based on match type, because it is easier for me to compare performances of each match type, when there are many similar ad groups. I think it is just a personal preference.

Rion