AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Separate Mobile And Desktop Into 2 Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have read conflicting advice about whether or not to separate mobile and desktop traffic into 2 campaigns.

Those who argue to "keep it simple" and keep them in the same campaign say you can use bid modifiers for the mobile traffic.

However, my understanding of bid modifiers is I could only increase/decrease bids for mobile at the campaign or ad group level. That means the bid changes for mobile for all of the keywords for mobile.

I'm thinking in order to be able to specify exact bid amounts for mobile on specific keywords I would have to create a completely separate campaign for mobile.

In addition, by having a separate campaign for mobile, I could create ads that are more mobile friendly (e.g. shorter text).

Is this correct or am I missing something?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2016

Re: Separate Mobile And Desktop Into 2 Campaigns

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Paul B

It's certainly okay to keep them in the same campaign, but nothing wrong with breaking them out into separate ones either.

You should choose what's best for your campaign objectives/goals, your workflow, and the level of control you need. 

Sounds like you've thought this through, and have valid reasons to go the separate campaign route.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Paul B

It's certainly okay to keep them in the same campaign, but nothing wrong with breaking them out into separate ones either.

You should choose what's best for your campaign objectives/goals, your workflow, and the level of control you need. 

Sounds like you've thought this through, and have valid reasons to go the separate campaign route.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Paul,

I do agree with "keeping it simple" since all of your mobile, computer and tablets statistics are available for you within the devices tab in the settings of the campaign & you can control your bids through the bid modifiers. Varying on the industry sometimes its just more work for you by separating the campaigns.

But by having separate campaigns for mobile and computer you have more control over each bid on the keywords. But make sure you change your setting to -100% on the opposite device of each campaign!

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Paul B,

I don't think you're missing anything - sounds like you've thought it through. Here's my two cents...

I'm a fan of keeping things simple with one campaign and that's where features like bid adjustments and mobile final URL are helpful. You can always review your performance by segmenting by device. 

It's true that you can only use bid adjustments for the Campaign or Adgroup, not specific Keywords. You could keep one Campaign and create Adgroups specific to your mobile goals then use mobile bid adjustments for those Adgroups.

Whether you end up creating two separate Campaigns or make Adgroups for your mobile goals, you can use mobile-friendly landing pages, relevant keywords and also relevant ad text as you mentioned!

Allie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cedric 

Could you please explain your reasoning for changing your settings to -100% on the opposite device of each campaign.

Thanks

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

@Tom T

he was talking about splitting up campaigns by Desktop and Mobile, which means they will be identical except for that.  He's saying make sure you make adjustment of -100% for mobile in a desktop campaign, and -100% for desktop in mobile campaign.  This makes sure there are no conflicts between the two, and that you are truly segmenting each campaign by device.