Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Separate Campaign for Converting Keywords

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

What issue can one face if we create a separate campaing for converting keywords & other for high voume search keywords? 

If I create a new campaing taking keywords from existing one with Good keywords, then I have to delete those keywords from old campaing and so its history performance data? I am not sure on how to procees on this topic.

Edit:

I was just going through some Adword Best practicces provided by Google and found it, So though to get better idea here.

Also, I am not saying to add keywords from different type of campaing into a single campaign.

Separate campaigns for converting keywords

Separate campaign for top volume drivers

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anil_Singh
September 2015

Re: Separate Campaign for Converting Keywords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Anil,

I'm not sure that I can provide you with particular suggestions here without more details about the existing account structure, age of campaigns/account and performance of the account as a whole.

Currently you would like to isolate your highest converting keywords as well as your high volume search keywords.  Would there be other keywords outside of these two categories too? How many campaigns are there now?

I guess I personally have some issues with the logic here on these 'Best Practices'.  I don't always agree with 'Best Practices' as there is no perfect right vs wrong way to create accounts for every business models.  I would actually really appreciate if you could share your source for this information so I could have some better context from which to elaborate. 

I'm sure there is more to the story here and your intentions are good, I'm just still in the dark here with what exactly the goals are here and depending on the full budget, whether multiple campaigns are needed (unless you need different settings: mobile vs desktop or GDN vs Search etc...).  Sometimes when you add multiple campaigns with the same settings, the daily budget could be exhausted in one campaign (highest converters) while additional campaigns are sitting stagnant, wasting the full potential of the best keywords in the account. 

Based on my personal experience I would label the highest converting keywords as the most valuable and would not touch them at all, after all, they're the highest converting for a reason.  I can't possibly see the benefit to moving them to a new campaign if they are the best performers.  If anything, I would remove the other keywords to another campaign and leave the best performers where they are where you can apply some optimization refinements and adjust the budget accordingly.  This 'best converting' campaign, should have the highest percentage of budget allocation.

To back track slightly, anything I ever do to an account, especially if it is along the lines of a major reconstruction, is based on the goals of the advertiser and with the best intentions of the account.  For this I will assume that conversions are the goal here.

If you have high volume search keywords that are not converting, how important are they to this account? I'm having trouble understanding what the benefit is to having under-performing keywords at all, but to dedicate a complete campaign to them seems odd to me. I just don't keep keywords around that don't benefit me at all.   If they are important keywords that need to be generating conversions, then re-grouping them could help, potentially with some new ads or landing page copy to further enhance the conversion possibilities but you may be able to do this within the existing campaign(s).

I'm not sure if this helps or not and again, without more info, I'm taking a shot in the dark.  I guess what I'm trying to get across here is that you should determine what the goals of the account are and take any actions based on those goals.  Also, it's probably not a good idea to mess with keywords that are working as you wish, its better to take action on the other keywords and leave the good ones alone.

If you care to elaborate at all, I can certainly try to give you an opinion more directly related and relevant to your purposes which could also completely contradict what I just wrote. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Anil,

Personally, I wouldn't take this route. You've done something right in order to get high converting keywords, why do you want to change them now?

Yes, you'll lose history and potentially relevance if you start pulling keywords from multiple ad groups into one single ad group. How will you manage the ads that have worked so well for you?

Perhaps I'm missing the point here but I just don't see the benefit of this.

Just a thought.

-Tom
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Anil,

Why don't you prefer adding top performing relevant search queries instead of keyword? And negative those queries in old campaign?

Just a thought!

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you everyone, I have just edited the mesage. Hope it will make my question more clear.

-------------

Edit:

I was just going through some Adword Best practicces provided by Google and found it, So though to get better idea here.

Also, I am not saying to add keywords from different type of campaing into a single campaign.

Separate campaigns for converting keywords

Separate campaign for top volume drivers

----------------------------------------------------

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anil_Singh
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Anil,

I'm not sure that I can provide you with particular suggestions here without more details about the existing account structure, age of campaigns/account and performance of the account as a whole.

Currently you would like to isolate your highest converting keywords as well as your high volume search keywords.  Would there be other keywords outside of these two categories too? How many campaigns are there now?

I guess I personally have some issues with the logic here on these 'Best Practices'.  I don't always agree with 'Best Practices' as there is no perfect right vs wrong way to create accounts for every business models.  I would actually really appreciate if you could share your source for this information so I could have some better context from which to elaborate. 

I'm sure there is more to the story here and your intentions are good, I'm just still in the dark here with what exactly the goals are here and depending on the full budget, whether multiple campaigns are needed (unless you need different settings: mobile vs desktop or GDN vs Search etc...).  Sometimes when you add multiple campaigns with the same settings, the daily budget could be exhausted in one campaign (highest converters) while additional campaigns are sitting stagnant, wasting the full potential of the best keywords in the account. 

Based on my personal experience I would label the highest converting keywords as the most valuable and would not touch them at all, after all, they're the highest converting for a reason.  I can't possibly see the benefit to moving them to a new campaign if they are the best performers.  If anything, I would remove the other keywords to another campaign and leave the best performers where they are where you can apply some optimization refinements and adjust the budget accordingly.  This 'best converting' campaign, should have the highest percentage of budget allocation.

To back track slightly, anything I ever do to an account, especially if it is along the lines of a major reconstruction, is based on the goals of the advertiser and with the best intentions of the account.  For this I will assume that conversions are the goal here.

If you have high volume search keywords that are not converting, how important are they to this account? I'm having trouble understanding what the benefit is to having under-performing keywords at all, but to dedicate a complete campaign to them seems odd to me. I just don't keep keywords around that don't benefit me at all.   If they are important keywords that need to be generating conversions, then re-grouping them could help, potentially with some new ads or landing page copy to further enhance the conversion possibilities but you may be able to do this within the existing campaign(s).

I'm not sure if this helps or not and again, without more info, I'm taking a shot in the dark.  I guess what I'm trying to get across here is that you should determine what the goals of the account are and take any actions based on those goals.  Also, it's probably not a good idea to mess with keywords that are working as you wish, its better to take action on the other keywords and leave the good ones alone.

If you care to elaborate at all, I can certainly try to give you an opinion more directly related and relevant to your purposes which could also completely contradict what I just wrote. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks TOM. You have made it clear. I agree with you idea of removing less preforming keywords and not touching the high performing keywords. It make sense.
Thanks