2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Selling hardware vs software

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I've been advertising on AW for many years but now find myself in a new role promoting and selling software products (my previous experience lies with heavyweight goods where freight was a major factor in conversion).

What are the first things I should consider? I was a very location-specific advertiser in the past so radius/IP/mobile showrooming targeting, you name it, was a high priority - but now that doesn't matter. I used to be really dialed in with specific geos (at least campaigns were split out by state). Any other tips and tricks? I looked into some sales data from GA and there wasn't really a rhyme or reason why people would convert on the westcoast in area A vs. the eastcoast in area B.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Johnny K,

The best advice I could lend is to keep aware of the major issues with selling digital products with AdWords. This thread really covers it well. 

Best Wishes,

James

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

I couldn't agree with J more. Software, customer support, etc., is a completely different game than selling product online. Be very, very careful about going all in on this new business model without doing your homework first. If these are two different business models, definitely consider segmenting the websites, and even the AdWords accounts. Don't risk something that is working, by expanding into a much more difficult, highly regulated market. Smiley Happy

Tom

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the feedback. Not so much worried about regulations or getting suspended as this is for a Fortune 500 company and they've been running ad budgets in the millions for quite some time now.

The first thing I'm noticing is that the CPCs are so incredibly competitive (some keywords north of $10 CPCs) and since I'm not targeting large enterprise accounts I don't know how this could be profitable.