AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Segmenting Keyword Match Type - Ad Groups or Campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm curious if most of you segment your keywords by match type (broad/phrase/exact) at an Ad Group or Campaign level?

Does it change depending upon the size of your campaign?

Cheers!

G

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Segmenting Keyword Match Type - Ad Groups or Campaigns?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi G,

I do it sometimes when I find that I need to work differently with Ad Copy. For instance I sometimes find myself segmenting out the Exact Match type into its own group because I am super confident with my ad copy while I keep phrase and broad in a different adgroup because I need to work a little harder with Ad Copy due to broad and phrase match keywords expanding to other search terms. Sometimes I segment phrase into its own group if necessary too. It just depends on your account needs and how much time you have to manage the account.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I segment my keywords by groups at a and adroup level. 

Ex: Medical MAlpractice (Campaign)

Med Mal Attorney (Adgoup)

All my matched that are relevant to that adgroup go here. With all the appropriate match types

I like to think of it like a tree and the camapign being the trunk.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi G,

I do it sometimes when I find that I need to work differently with Ad Copy. For instance I sometimes find myself segmenting out the Exact Match type into its own group because I am super confident with my ad copy while I keep phrase and broad in a different adgroup because I need to work a little harder with Ad Copy due to broad and phrase match keywords expanding to other search terms. Sometimes I segment phrase into its own group if necessary too. It just depends on your account needs and how much time you have to manage the account.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I segment my keywords by groups at a and adroup level. 

Ex: Medical MAlpractice (Campaign)

Med Mal Attorney (Adgoup)

All my matched that are relevant to that adgroup go here. With all the appropriate match types

I like to think of it like a tree and the camapign being the trunk.

Hope this helps.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ditto that from LawyerCentral.  ALWAYS create adgroups around a relevant theme Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the responses!

My main concern with segmenting at an ad group level is that you can't effectively control the amont of budget each keyword type gets.  So - if I want my exact match to have the majority of the budget all I can do is to limit the budget of phrase/broad.

Thoughts....

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 6
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi mistaT

You definitely have control over your budget as well as bids. Depending on the size of your account, you can try automatic bidding to see what keywords work for you. Based on that you can keep fine-tuning your account and switch later to manual bidding instead of automatic

Best,

Zee
G+

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Agreed.. What about maybe setting a automatic rules for the keywords you want to spend more on because you want a higher position or for whatever reason. 

Also, if this is a new campaign I would not discount the other matches. Especially broad with the modifier this is really helpful because you will get a chance to see what people are searching for. This helps on many levels because it will give you new keyword ideas and it will also help with negative keywords. It will really help you to fine tune your campaign and give you a good idea on which keywords are converting aswell.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Also you can day part the campaigns in the non profitable hours. This will reduce some unnecessary spend.

Raghu