2.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Seasonal Account Advice

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

This is quite an advanced question. I am having real issues with this account I am trying to optimize. 

It is a very seasonal account on a whole, for a plant nursery. The account is costing way too much money at the moment, because the campaigns have not been monitored closely enough during the changing seasons.

Sales tend to climb from January through to May, then fall and are down until august, then climb a little again and fall in into December before it all starts again.

I am finding it hard to wrap my head around how to best run this account. What would you advice in order to get the most out of these campaigns? how should I raise or lower bids? Would automation be out of the question?

Please any advice? There are several CPA campaigns within the account which were left to go all over the place during the changing seasons as well... after working on rather predicable accounts before I feel a bit lost. Thanks. hedge.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Seasonal Account Advice

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hi Abbie,

As a start, I would turn off any bid automation (conversion optimizer, enhanced cpc) as they don't always seem to work well with seasonal / fluctuating campaigns.

Then investigate a normal (non-peak) period and establish a baseline cpc per keyword. Check if the conversion rate increases (or decreases) during peak periods. If it doesn't, keep to the baseline cpc, if the CR increases, you can increase your bids as well during these periods (depending on what competition is doing)

Go from there and build up data to see where the next opportunities lie.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I agree with Ken on this;
You need to switch all campaign settings to "manual"  and start  analyzing the data systematically;
(I know... This  is a lot of work, and a real time consuming task...  Smiley Surprised )

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Today i printed off reports of the last 3 years of data to try and make senss of it all!

I suppose the only thing to do, is to try and aim for similar bids to previous successful periods? And work out the patterns. I thought maybe setting some auto rules to increase or decrease bids could work but, I guess that would be risky?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Abbie R
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Hi Abbie,

This would be how I approach it, but everyone has their way :-)

You said the account wasn't running well, is that because there are not enough conversions, because the cost per conversion is too high or both? That 's maybe the first thing to clarify together with setting targets: what would be a good number of conversions and what is an acceptable cost per conversion.

Once you have those targets, make an analysis of the conversion rates of at least the most important keywords and set a cpc. (cpc = target cost per conv. * historic conversion rate for that keyword) Check what happens to the conversion rate in peak periods because if you just start bidding higher (automated or manual) during peak periods but the conversion rate stays the same, you will be paying more per conversion which might indeed be risky and not something you want. If conversion rates stay stable, you can actually just leave the cpc as is and just make sure you have enough budget to cover the peak periods.

Once that's in place you basically replaced all the automated bidding features (conversion optimizer, enhanced cpc, bid strategies) with decent manual bidding of which you know that they 'll bring you close to your targets.

Then start optimizing as you'd normally do, especially those keywords where the number of impressions is high, but the conversion rate below your account's average should get special attention as there might be quite a bit of potential there.

With optimizations, your quality scores and/or conversion rate could increase, at which point you can either choose to lower the cpc in order to decrease the cost per conversion, or keep it the same and get more conversions. (theoretically)