1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Search terms keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi I'm noticing terms showing up in Search Terms triggering ads in a less relevant group that adding to a more relevant adgroup would be over my $2.00 ceiling as a nonprofit. Also, I've noticed that if I move a keyword to a more relevant adgroup, it's cost and qa changes (usually for the worse), so I'm afraid to move a black sheep because it's doing well (but shouldn't be, there).

How to I channel Adwords to trigger my ads in the more relevant group?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author WebMamma5000
September 2015

Re: Search terms keywords

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

For the first 1000 impressions a keyword will have a "default QS" and after this amount it changes according mainly to what CTR the keyword recorded in your account.

You can pause the keyword which is in the "wrong ad group" create the same keyword in the good ad group and bid higher on it for the first few dozen clicks until it reaches a high QS. Then you can decrease the bid.

"How to I channel Adwords to trigger my ads in the more relevant group?"

Add keywords based on the Search terms report in exact match.

Also testing new Ads could result in higher CTR for those new creatives, relevancy starts from Ad text.

Also it would be a good idea to share this problem in the forum dedicated to non-profits :

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/grants

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks that helps a lot!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I would also add that adding negative keywords at the Ad Group level can be very beneficial to ensure that you have the most relevant ads pulling up. This is important in AdWords in general but it is especially important in Ad Grant accounts where there is a limit on the CPC.

Dear Adrian For the first 1000 impressions a keyword w...

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear Adrian 

For the first 1000 impressions a keyword will have a "default QS" and after this amount it changes according mainly to what CTR the keyword recorded in your account.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is great information, May we have any article regarding this, if u can send link for the same it will be appreciable.

Also after or before 1000 impression the QS which we see in our a/c is just for interface ofr Google take that into actual consideration

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Jeewan G,

This is just something that I learned from the forum, this is the first mention that I can find in a hurry :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Is-it-google-slap/m-p/119946/highlight/true#M1099...

[edit] and here is another mention from another  TC :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/How-soon-does-Quality-Score-recover-after-13...

[end edit]

I have seen this shift in QS in my own account so it is as real as it can be. Many of my new keywords this month had a QS of 5/10, and after around 1000 impressions they switched to 8/10.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
I got one main important keyword whose impression are very high, clicks are less , what can be done for that

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Jeewan, Please write this message in a new thread so it can be seen by all forum members as "unanswered" and write more details so it can be diagnosed.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
When we're talking about the "first 1000 impressions" do you mean, for all time? Is this impression count re-set when the kw is moved?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Whenever a new keyword is created the QS is default for the first 1000 impressions.

As the operation of "moving a keyword" does not exist, it consists of 2 operations, delete old keyword and create new one in another ad group, yes "moving a keyword" resets its history of clicks and QS.

Also when the matchtype is changed, this operation deletes the old match type keyword and makes a new keyword with the desired match type. Any editing operation is a (delete+create new).

Here is another mention of the default QS for first 1000 impressions :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/How-soon-does-Quality-Score-recover-after-13...