AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Search term reports - Bizarre terms

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've been examining the search term reports for some of our keywords, and increasingly the search terms that are triggering our ads are utterly bizarre. In fact, they are so strange, that I'm convinced we are racking up 100,000s (and I wouldn't be surprised if it was 1,000,000s) of impressions for terms no real person would use and must infact be robots or automated programs. I know that Google work hard to cut these down, but at times it completely distorts search term reporting.

For example, the search terms for:
japan fashion brand fish style [widget] plush material [widget] purse women's [widget]

has many more impressions than [widget]

Does anyone have any tips on avoiding ridiculous terms like these?

Best regards

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Search term reports - Bizarre terms

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Here is some information on Broad match and Modified Broad match that should help you understand the matching options:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497828?hl=en

http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/bmm.html

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

This is typical for broad match;

Is this the match type you are using?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, this is one of our broad match keywords; we do have extensive negative keywords added, but it's the volume of this apparently automated searches that surprises me. I just thought there would be better filtering... but nevermind, if that's the way it is, that's the way it is Smiley Happy

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

My impression, during the years, has been that broad match has become "broader", and the list of synonyms for any keywords has become larger.

I have almost completely stopped using broad match and switch to broad modified. By that, eliminating all the irrelevant synonyms that can match a keyword

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi MosheTLV,

Thanks for getting back in touch - I'm glad you've said that, as I've noticed that too! May I ask, when you say broad modified, what do you mean exactly? We don't really use keywords like:

red widgets

anymore. However, we do use quite a few

+red +widgets

"red widgets"

keywords. Is this what you mean?
Many thanks in advance,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also, just to clarify, the keyword I mentioned in my opening post was of the type  +red +widget

Many thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Here is some information on Broad match and Modified Broad match that should help you understand the matching options:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497828?hl=en

http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/bmm.html

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*