AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Search queries with single click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I wanted to get thoughts on adding search queries as exact keywords where the search queries have only a single click. I have a lot of queries from a range of brand keywords, they account for a good % of conversions but when you look at them individually, about 80% of those conversion come from queries with only a single click.

Given that the frequency of the individual clicks is so low, does any have any recommendations around adding these individual queries as exact keywords, or just to leave them picking up on the broad keywords?

Many thanks,

Mark

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark P
September 2015

Re: Search queries with single click

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Mark, unusually, I'm going to disagree with @ScottyD here.

The problem with single-click data is that you've no evidence that search term is ever going to receive another click.  This means you could end up with Ad Groups containing hundreds of Keywords, most of which have very little traffic and I'd be concerned about these Keywords affecting overall Account performance for little benefit as well as creating an overly complex Account where the majority of targeting elements have no performance data.

As you say, these terms will be covered by your existing broader term(s) anyway (and if this is a branding campaign it's unlikely to have a poor ROI) and if they are really valuable you should find they'll accrue more than one click over time, in which case you'll be able to add them as individuals with more confidence (and possibly place them in their own Ad Groups to allow for very tightly focused Ads and/or use them with DKI).

You don't say what match type your original Keyword(s) are, but what I'd certainly be looking for is additional Phrase match Keywords that match a greater number of these individual clicks.  For example, if the search terms were:

buy brand shoes online

brand shoes online best price

red brand shoes online

etc., and your original Keyword was just "brand shoes", I'd add a Phrase match of "brand shoes online" to scoop up these three individual clicks in just one additional Keyword rather than 3.

I don't really think the concern about these Keywords being paused and losing these higher value searches is a worry as I'd expect you to examine the SQR for a Keyword you were considering pausing anyway, and at that point make the decision to alter it or add additional higher converting terms.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mark,

I'd personally include them to ensure that they are given the opportunity to convert again in the future. Let's say that the ROI falls rather dramatically on the broad keyword which is triggering them for example, if you pause that broad keyword then you're going to lose the good converting search terms along with it. If you had included those terms as exact keywords however then you could pause that broad keyword without worrying.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Mark, unusually, I'm going to disagree with @ScottyD here.

The problem with single-click data is that you've no evidence that search term is ever going to receive another click.  This means you could end up with Ad Groups containing hundreds of Keywords, most of which have very little traffic and I'd be concerned about these Keywords affecting overall Account performance for little benefit as well as creating an overly complex Account where the majority of targeting elements have no performance data.

As you say, these terms will be covered by your existing broader term(s) anyway (and if this is a branding campaign it's unlikely to have a poor ROI) and if they are really valuable you should find they'll accrue more than one click over time, in which case you'll be able to add them as individuals with more confidence (and possibly place them in their own Ad Groups to allow for very tightly focused Ads and/or use them with DKI).

You don't say what match type your original Keyword(s) are, but what I'd certainly be looking for is additional Phrase match Keywords that match a greater number of these individual clicks.  For example, if the search terms were:

buy brand shoes online

brand shoes online best price

red brand shoes online

etc., and your original Keyword was just "brand shoes", I'd add a Phrase match of "brand shoes online" to scoop up these three individual clicks in just one additional Keyword rather than 3.

I don't really think the concern about these Keywords being paused and losing these higher value searches is a worry as I'd expect you to examine the SQR for a Keyword you were considering pausing anyway, and at that point make the decision to alter it or add additional higher converting terms.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

How dare you Jon Smiley Surprised

I didn't consider that it was a branding campaign to be honest but it's an interesting way to look at it regardless.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Scott & Jon,

Thanks for the great feedback!

The original keywords are generally BMM so there are a real range of extended queries in there. I have all of the major terms covered off with phrase already to pick up the majority of queries so it is about those really long-tail mixed up queries.

Around 15% of the conversions from the broad come from keywords with 10 clicks or more so maybe I will start there by adding those in on exact and then look to possibly to expand to some of the lower volume queries.

Thanks again for the opinions, really appreciate hearing two sides!

Mark

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry just to clarify, it's a generic campaign but with relatively high intent from the user.