3.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Search, display or both?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Which way to go for a book?  Search, display or both?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Search, display or both?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rubedo333 and welcome to the forum.

For a book, I think the key to this decision is going to be whether the work is fiction or non-fiction and, if non-fiction, the subject.  If it's a fiction work then I'd lean heavily in the direction of Display only.  Unless the author is a well-known name it's going to be extremely hard to find targeted, relevant keywords that are going to produce clicks that convert.  You'll do much better to employ some good image Ads on the Display network - possibly manually targeted at relevant sites - trying to grab people's attention much in the same way the cover of a book does.

If it's non-fiction, you may be able to employ the Search network using keywords related to the subject matter but a lot will depend upon the subject itself.  If it's anything to do with computing you'll be competiting with just about everyone on the planet, if it's a narrower subject - but still with a good potential audience - you may do better.  Either way I still think Display may give better results.

However, I would caution that advertising books through Adwords is going to prove tough if you're looking for a bottom line profit.  Very tough.  Again, it may be easier if the book is non-fiction and can command a decent sale price but otherwise it's going to be difficult.  You may actually find your time is better spent on social media such as G+ and Twitter.  Creating a "buzz" about a work is usually much more effective than straightforward advertising.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

My decision to use the display network or not is based on a few things. First, is this something that people are likely to be looking for or is it something they have to be told exists? For books, unless they know the title, they are not likely to search for it. It also depends on the kind of book.

For example, I'm writing a science fiction book. A search campaign would not likely work (not until the book becomes a best seller and people actually search for it) and certainly not a good idea to bid on "science fiction books", it would not be profitable. However, this would be a perfect product for a display network, targeting appropriate sites where my readership is likely to be, and let them know of my book.

On the other hand, I also wrote a book on Adwords. This is the sort of thing that people search for such as "adwords books" and you could bid on other types of keywords like "learning adwords" or "adwords secrets". It could also be promoted, again on appropriate sites, on the display network.

Note that if you use both, you should keep them separate. Never mix search and display together. Going even further, I'd have a display campaign for text ads and a separate one for image ads.

You should also consider a remaketing campaign. I would not use it for my science fiction book but might for an Adwords book.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Some brilliant points raised already. A slightly longer term strategy could be to use remarketing to target visitors whose visited your page through the Display ads. A quick review video on youtube can also be used to promote the book on that forum (not sure how many people would look at that sort of thing, just thinking out loud.)