Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Search Terms from Google Analytics

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

I have query about Negative Keywords. For one of our Campaign we are daily checking search terms report from Google Analytics and from that we add unrelevant keywords in Negative. But if we have added any keyword in Negative today, after a week or after some days same keyword appears in Search Terms Report in Analytics. So how much time does it take to reflect negative keywords effect, or is there any problem in Analytics Reporting.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Search Terms from Google Analytics

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Opal,

Negative keywords should begin working same-day. I have a couple of questions about the data that you are looking at. When you are looking at Google Analytics, are you sure that you are looking at paid traffic only? Negative keywords will only modify when you show an ad but it won't change whether your site will appear organically. When you look at the search query report within AdWords, are you still seeing the term?

If so, did you add your negative keyword just to one ad group or campaign? If so, it could be a separate campaign or ad group that is being triggered by the term. If you look in the search query report like I mentioned above, you will be able to see what ad groups are being triggered by the query and then you can make sure you have a campaign level or ad group level negative in that place.

Also, another question is what match type did you use when you added the negative keyword? If you chose exact or phrase, it might not be blocking out queries. Can you tell us what the negative is and the match type, as well?

Thanks!

Re: Search Terms from Google Analytics

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Opal,

Amy has put forth some very important points that you need to consider when you are looking to negate irrelevant queries. One thing I would just like to add here is that as far as possible try and negate irrelevant queries at the 'Campaign' level using the 'Phrase' matchtype.

I began my career with using Broad matchtypes for negating terms but eventually learnt that Phrase works better any day. Negative Phrase keyword will negate almost all of the irrelevant traffic that you are trying to avoid.

Also Like Amy said, always check for the level at which you are adding the negative to and for which keyword & adgroup. If you had not added negatives at Campaign level, it could very well be that the same query is being triggered from another adgroup or keyword under a different adgroup.

Do give this a try and let us know how it turns out.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"