AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Search Network vs. Display Network Performance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have 4 campaigns going right now. Three of the campaigns are display network and are segmented into a Keywords Campaign, Placement Campaign, and Topic/Interest Campaign. The fourth campaign is for the search network.

I've noticed that I have far more impressions with the Search Network Campaign. Is that normal?

My potential reach for each Display Network Campaign is as follows:

Keyword Campaign - 500M to 1B

Placement Campaign - 200M to 250M

Topic/Interest Campaign - 5M to 10M.

I have not ran a large campaign like I am running right now. Are numbers like these right? Any advice?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David P
September 2015

Re: Search Network vs. Display Network Performance

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

David;

Impressions are a matter of ad-rank. If you are not winning a slot, either your QS (on the display network)  is low, or your bid is low, or both. Since Google does not disclose the QS on the display network, your only option is to raise the bid.

-Moshe

PS: I assume you have ads in all banner sizes available, (i.e. You are not losing impressions due to a  lack of a banner for a given ad slot)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David,

Generally speaking, you tend to get more impressions on Display Network as compared to Google's Search Network and the CTR is also generally low on Display campaigns when compared with Search ones. That's pretty normal as far as I have seen and observed. That's because your ad is placed on lots of placements which are in the Display Network that matches with your targeting criteria and on another hand in Search network, it's a different ball game. That's why the tendency of an user on Display network differs from someone who is on Search network and looking for a resolution on instant manner.

I hope this helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I would figure that I would get more impressions on a Display Network, but the opposite is happening. I'm getting very few impressions.

Also, I'm targeting stocks, but I'm driving traffic to a free whitepaper download. On my Placement Campaign, I'm using CPM and my bid is $12.00 CPM for large images and $8.00 for some text ads and one image. Is that too low, or does anyone know like an average number I should be shooting for?

I had it Focus On Click and let Google determine my bid, but that didn't seem to be working.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I would switch to PPC and raise the bid
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have one campaign that is CPC and still nothing. What I'm thinking might be the issue is the landing page that people are going to is considered a squeeze page, probably because it is. I am collecting email addresses at this landing page in exchange for a whitepaper on why to buy a certain stock. Is that a no-no in Adwords?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Two issues here;

In your first post you asked about impressions. Impressions depend  on the QS and the bid.  Now,  you are talking about  a landing page  which is not converting...

I'm more worried about the content of the landing page: offering free gifts in exchange for personal information. (e.g email)  is a violation of the information harvesting section.

Giving financial advice must comply with the user safety section.

So, I would strongly recommend verifying  that your landing page complies with the Policy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, MosheTLV. Regarding the landing page, I wasn't worried about it converting. What I was talking about was Google considering it a squeeze page, and that's why I'm not getting any impressions. Google sees that as a landing page, so they won't show my ad although I didn't get a warning about it.

I will look into those policies though. I knew that I couldn't create a squeeze page for a third-party product, but not if I owned the product myself and the company was mine. Thanks for your advice!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

David;

Impressions are a matter of ad-rank. If you are not winning a slot, either your QS (on the display network)  is low, or your bid is low, or both. Since Google does not disclose the QS on the display network, your only option is to raise the bid.

-Moshe

PS: I assume you have ads in all banner sizes available, (i.e. You are not losing impressions due to a  lack of a banner for a given ad slot)