6.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Search Network Search Terms & Quality Score

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

In several ad groups I have instances of (presumably) non-user generated search queries from the Search Network. They look like queries generated from a site directory. They have lots of impressions and very few clicks. 

My thinking up unto this point has been "Well, they are not costing me much, and the relevancy is more or less there. Why not keep it?"

However, I am wondering if those search terms will hurt the Quality Score on the keyword it is mapping to because of the very low CTR, thereby hurting the highly relevant user-generated searches.

Is high volume, low CTR Search Network queries negatively affecting QS a legitimate concern?

Thanks, 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Search Network Search Terms & Quality Score

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Marcus R can you provide an example of one of these search terms (you can, of course, replace your real search Keywords with something false - it's the bits that make it look like an auto-generated query that interest me).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Jon. An example would be: outdoor living outdoor heating & cooling {keyword}

The last bit is our keyword it is mapping to. There are other examples of even longer search terms. In general they are characterized by categorical terms (e.g. "outdoor living") with repeated qualifiers (e.g. "outdoor") and often incorporate ampersands (&).

This particular search term represents a large number of impressions within its ad group, and a very small number of clicks.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
What is the conversion rate? If these KWs convert - we have an additional consideration
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
<1% on the keyword. Zero conversions on the term itself.

The keyword is top of funnel in content. There are several of the Search Network queries in question mapping to it. Segmenting verifies they are in fact coming from the Search Network (though not necessarily that they are non-user generated)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Marcus,

According to your explanation, I am assuming you are running such keywords in either Broad or Phrase match type. Taking your example - "outdoor living outdoor heating & cooling {keyword}. The last bit is our keyword it is mapping to." it clearly suggests that such a long search query is mapped with {keyword} which is your actual keyword that you are bidding on and it can only map with such queries when you are running your keywords either in Broad match or Phrase match.

And now regarding Quality Score - Yes, it will directly affect/impact your quality score as the search terms are generating high number of impressions but fewer clicks, leading to low CTR and this data is directly associated with your actual keywords.

Regards,

Ashish

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I have seen such search terms coming from the Search Partners Network segment. Can you check with the button Segment , option "network" if the source of these search terms is the Search Partners Segment ?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
I want to add one more thing to my reply - if you are seeing non-relevant and least relevant search queries on your keywords then it is recommended to add those queries as negatives in order to improve the relevancy and quality score. You can check your search query report once in a week or fortnightly, depending on the traffic you are getting.

And if they are not costing you much and are relevant but have high impressions and less clicks i.e. have low CTR, I would recommend to add those keywords as Exact match keywords either in the same ad group or separate ad group, depending on the relevancy/theme and bid accordingly. This way you can improve the CTR of such keywords by further optimization i.e. improving the position and creating dedicated/relevant ad copy.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks all for the input.

I decided to exclude the said search terms for a lift in QS. I viewed search terms on the ad group, and opened up the time window several months. Then I segmented the search terms by network, showing me which are coming from Google Search vs Search Network (and which are coming from both). The search terms in question have all been coming exclusively from the Search Network: high impression, very low CTR, and no conversions within a large time window.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Just came across this, which answers my question. Turns out the answer is pretty plainly stated.

"The clickthrough rate (CTR) for ads on search partner sites doesn't impact your Quality Score on Google.com."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2616017

Low CTR on a keyword, as a result of search network performance, does not negatively impact your Quality Score.