Search Impression Share - 16.45%

Search Lost Is Rank - 53.29%

Date - 8th Jan 2015 

Keyword - Designer Dress Sale 

Quality Score - 7

Max CPC - $1.10

Search Impression Share - 19.69%

Search Lost Is Rank - 50.40%

As on 6th Jan the quality score was 7 with search lost rank  - 41.22%. Here on 8th Jan the quality score again become 7 with Search Lost Rank - 50.40% means there is increase in Search Lost Rank  as compared to 6th Jan. But both have the same quality score and also there in increase in bid on 8th jan. Then how is it possible to show high Search Lost Rank? 

Even after 8th Jan the Search Lost IS Rank is increasing day by day. How is it possible. Also tel me what does this mean? What is the relation between Search Impression share & Search Lost Rank IS?

Note - The Search Volume & Competition has remain the same for the keyword and Est First page bid & Top page bid being the same on 6th & 8th jan. No changes in between till date.. 

Re: Search Lost Is Rank High Even with Good Quality Score & Bid

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Chris,

This looks pretty standard. There are a lot of variables that can help you understand the situation:

• Match Type & Variants: your impression share is based on all queries people search that match up with your select keywords, so if you have a lot of variants or non-exact match impression share, then this number is expected to fluctuate.
  • Statistical significance: What are the amount of impressions here? I'm assuming that when you look at a small sample size of data (by hour or by day) for most keywords, you should expect variation. Even so, your changes do not look statistically significantly different.
  • Search volume varies from day to day: not every term gets searched the same amount every day, every week, or every month. So if something gets searched 100 times today, and you appear 15% of the time, and then it gets searched 125 times tomorrow, you may only appear 12% of the time. These kinds of small fluctuations are normal.

I would focus on long-term increases, not day to day changes.

What tool are you using to track your quality score? Quality score can change on an hourly basis.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Chris,

There are a variety of reasons this could be, but it will come down to competition on the word for that day. You could have a QS of 10 and still loose IS due to rank, it all depends on who else has entered each auction with you.

What the above information tells me, is that on the 7/8th January more of your auctions were competitive in terms of there were 'better' competitors than you entering many of your auctions.

If 10 other competitors entered that auction with you and they also had a QS of 7 but were willing to pay more then they would knock you off the first page and you would have IS lost due to rank.

This should give you an idea of how it all works.

To answer your question about what exactly IS is:

Is is simply the percentage of impressions that you acquired in comparison to the number of impressions that you were eligible to acquire.

Hope this helps.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I am using Adwords tool to track Quality Score day by day. Tel me what should be my focus on the campaign. What should be the objective? Is it like decreasing cost or improving quality score or something else?

Also tel me how to track cost on advertising day by day? Which scenario would result in profit or loss?

Note - I'm not using Conversion tracking.