4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Search Lost (IS) Rank

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello, I just made some big tweaks to a campaign I am running and noticed that my IS lost rank is really terrible (link to screenshot below). Besides quality score and bids what else can I do to help lower that number? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82998211/IS.JPG
2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June 2016

Re: Search Lost (IS) Rank

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Suken,

It is clear that you applied some fundamental changes on June 15. I'd say never mind the drop in IS as long as ROI improves. To declare that, I'd wait a few additional days to see whether or not the favorable improvements in CR and CPA prove statistically consistent.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you! I'll wait a few more days to see what happens.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Suken,

Raising bids and quality scores are the best options, especially since bids were reduced so much on the 16th. One other way to improve IS lost rank would be to focus your targeting on cheaper clicks. Impression share is calculated based on eligibility for an ad to show in an auction, which is based on your targeting settings.

Say that your ads are targeted to the US and Canada, but the bid required for first position in Canada is half of what it is in the US. If you changed your location targeting to only Canada then you would improve your IS lost rank, however you would lose all the US traffic. This is a dramatic example but IS lost rank can manipulated by refining device, geo, time of day, audience and all the other targeting options.

Jim
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Jim. I will start to mess with targeting after a couple more days
of data.