Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Search Lost IS IS (rank) *so* high but QS's mostly 10's

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

This holiday season we've seen a huge drop in AdWords impressions (~50%.) Our organic traffic is down slightly, but only by about 5%. While trying to find out why this has happened I came across a topic that was wholly new to me - Lost IS (rank.)

If I understand correclty, Lost IS (rank) is the number of impressions you've missed out on, generally due to poor quality score, or due to budgetary issues. Unfortunately several of our ad groups have Lost IS percentages of 50%, 60% and one even at 75%.

However, further analyis of our ad groups shows that most of our keyword bids have quality scores of 10/10 - especially our most active ones. Across all ad groups I would say that 80-85% of our keywords have a 10/10 score. Also, we never even come close to our daily budget.

Can anyone help me understand what could be going on here?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Search Lost IS IS (rank) *so* high but QS's mostly 10's

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again,

NinjaPrecision wrote:
I also meant to ask you, could this Lost IS (rank) percentage account for impressions that we are not getting due to geographic restrictions we've set up on the campaign?

For instance, we target the US and Canada. If someone from England searches for us the ad won't display for them. In this case does AdWords include that search as part of the lost IS (rank) percentage?

No, I don't think so because your impressions share and everything restrict to the number of advertisers who are competing with you during that particular ad auction.

Unfortunately, there's no report where you can keep track of historical Quality Score of your account Smiley Happy

It's something which you can manually keep track of if you want. But I would encourage you to go through the optimization tips, which I referred above and try to implement them as much as you can, so that you can see your metrics improving in future.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi NinjaPrecision,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

There are 2 things you are talking about here which are different i.e. Search Lost Impression Share (Rank) and Search Lost Impression Share (Budget). 

First one is that if it is high in %age, it means that the overall ad quality is low due to which your ad is not shown, hence increasing this number.

Second is that when you lose impressions due to budget issues in your campaign.

Hence, in order to improve on above 2 metrics, you have to look at separate metrics.

It's excellent that you have QS of 10, which is max an advertiser can achieve, but for Ad Rank you have to take care of the Max. CPC as well. Ad Rank = QSX Bid you specifiy. So you need to have competitive bid also in order to ensure high Ad Rank. See more about ad position in this article.

I would also ask you that whether you have any idea that the keywords which have QS of 10 currently, what was their QS in the past?

It might happen that if their QS was low in the past and Adwords have increased it recently, then chances are that you might see reduction in Search Lost Impression Share (Rank) in the coming time. So you have to watch it because this will not happen instantly but slowly and gradually.

About Search Lost Impression Share (Budget), I can only say that you will have to look at your daily budget and see where you are missing. You might consider increasing it so that this metric reduces in future.

Read these optimization tips for implementing inside your campaigns.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry for any confusion - I only meant to refer to the rank aspect.

When you say ad quality, do you mean the advertisement itself, or something different?

I am confident the quality score has generally always been around 10 in our ad groups, if not always ten. Is there a way to check the QS history?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I also meant to ask you, could this Lost IS (rank) percentage account for impressions that we are not getting due to geographic restrictions we've set up on the campaign?

For instance, we target the US and Canada. If someone from England searches for us the ad won't display for them. In this case does AdWords include that search as part of the lost IS (rank) percentage?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again,

NinjaPrecision wrote:

No, I don't think so because your impressions share and everything restrict to the number of advertisers who are competing with you during that particular ad auction.

Unfortunately, there's no report where you can keep track of historical Quality Score of your account Smiley Happy

It's something which you can manually keep track of if you want. But I would encourage you to go through the optimization tips, which I referred above and try to implement them as much as you can, so that you can see your metrics improving in future.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Do you think upping the daily budget (even though we don't come close to it) would have an impact here at all?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Ninja,

What is your average ad position?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Try looking at the Opportunities Tab for options in terms of daily budget. An increase in the daily budget might help you in overcoming the Search Lost (IS), if it's due to Search Network.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hiya,

here are a few ideas (only regarding rank)...

In the dimension tab, you can add the "impression share" columns, and splitt by day for the desired campaign and even at the adgroup level.

If you see a sudden drop from one day to another for a particular campaign or agroup, you might want to check your histroy changes to make sure that nothing was changed by mistake on that day (addition of new keywords, opening to search partners, new geo targeting, bid changes, etc.).

the impression share drop might have something to do with your CPC level as higlighted by pankaj1782Your competitiors might have increased their min CPC to make the most of the holiday season and if you didn't change yours, you could be loosing impressions (have you had a look at the "min first page bid" column at the keyword level?), or even "worse", new competitors are entering the market pushing CPCs Up...

You could also be competing for unecessary impressions: Google might have decided to enter your keyword for a query that isn't relevant to your industry and where the competition in fierce... For example (to extarapolate): if you'd be bidding on "the shoes" - in whichever matchtype - (trying to sell the abum, not actual shoes) and google decides to enter your keyword for queries such as "dancing shoes", and your ad headline is something: The shoes - Time to Dance... your ad rank will be puched down for this particular query which will affect your overall ad group Impression sahre. Have a look at the "keyword details" to see which queries are trigggering your ads.

if your ROI is good enough and you say that the daily budget you've setup is never reached, you could also try enableing "show ads as quickly as possisble" to try to "force" impressions...?

It Could also have somethign to do with your language targeting. Make sure that the ad you are using is appropriate for the right audiance.

hope htis helps.

Cheers Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

As for the historical QS, the only way to do this would be to create a report for each keyword and download it periodically. Once a week should be more than enough. You could then view each download or better yet, upload to a database, and run your own reports.