star_border

Search Impression Share

WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi

I have a client who is very keen to have the highest possible search impression share. Is it possible to achieve a 100% search impression share?

How can we ensure that we have the highest possible search impression share?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Search Impression Share

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Wrd,

Welcome to AdWords CommunitySmiley Happy
First you need to identify why you have low impression.if this is because:-
Low budget:- increase your budget, so that you can avoid the situation of limited by budget as your ads will not serve through out the day.

Exact match keyword:- if you have low impression share in exact match keyword impression share, then you have add more exact match keyword. You can add the search term in the exact match keyword.
Low ad rank:- if you are facing the low ad rank, you have to increase the ad rank to increase the impression.

There are other more factors:-
Relevancy of your ad copy:- increasing the relevancy to improve your impression share.
Bid:- sometimes you have low bid so your ads does not win ad auction and you loose your impression. in this case you need to increase bid.

Please follow the below link for more info:-

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497703?hl=en-GB
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

In addition to Rakesh's great advice, I would like to assist here too with an idea.

Impression share for the same keywords that you have right now can be quickly influenced by the bid.

The trick is to select a wider data range like the last 7 or 14 or 30 days and to sort the Impressions column descending from the keywords with the most impressions downwards.

Keywords with enough impression count have that bid simulator button , and clicking on it might explain how many more impressions you can get for a certain higher bid. It also shows how many top of page impressions you could gain.

Because now ad rank is influenced by extensions, the ad groups have to have as many extensions active as possible to allow top of page impressions.

[edited spelling]

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I'm not so sure that the point of the new Ad Rank calculations is to force advertisers into adding "as many extensions as possible" - You will not be penalized for not having them, you can only get a boost if you do have them and they are useful/high quality.

I would not recommend that anyone just go adding as many extensions as possible. Appeal to the targeted audience and only use features that make sense for the advertiser. Never lose sight of the reason behind advertising in the first place.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I could be wrong, but I've never seen a 100% search impression share. I have clients who have a wide open budget and have not hit that yet. They might be at 98 or 99% but not a full 100%.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I always show Exact Match Impression Share To My Clients. Thats the important metric in impression share. Impression Share would include all close variants and even vague generic terms. Better show your client Exact Match Impression Share. It makes sense, as it shows relevant share and the true form of business.

WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi ChrisE

Why would it be difficult/impossible to achieve a 100% impression share? Surely if you have a big enough budget and high quality campaign, this should be achievable?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes, it is very possible to reach 100% Search Impression Share(IS). I am also very particular about this. The trade-off of course is Cost per Acquisition and potential loss of traffic. You risk losing traffic because you have focussed your AdGroup/Campaigns so much that you may not have not left any room for the one offs. I have had conversations with Google asking them why my Average CPC $0.80 with a default max CPC with $2.50, a Quality Score of 10, a CTR of 25%, why aren't I getting 100% Search IS?

Most of my ad groups are tightly knitted and structured with 2-3 keywords in the following format Noun-Verb or Adjective-Noun-Verb. I bring this up because, depending on the culture/language, the communication forms and sentence structures are different. English, for example has a Noun-Verb sentence structure. I made the mistake of forming a campaign focussed on the outcome I desired(verb) rather than the subject the user was interested in(Noun). It failed horribly.

The match types I use are are exact, phrase and broad modified. As a result, my average Campaign Search IS is 96.17%. Trying adding a broad modified KW(+Red +Shoes). This will capture new types of queries without sacrificing as much QS. And of course do not forget negatives...Here is a Search IS screen shot from 1 campaign:

Capture.JPG