AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Search Impression Share as Automated Rules Condition?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

After having trouble with a rule, I decided to try something.

I have 1000 or so keywords selected and decided to try a what if with automated rules.  

Automated Rule was: 

"IF Search Impression Share is < 100%, Then Raise Bids to Top of Page Level."   (see image)

It won't work.  NONE of the hundreds of keywords I have selected here are 100% Search Impression Share.  Yet "Preview" says "Nothing would change"  

What am I missing?

chrome_2017-07-05_23-14-36.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @scottclark,

What about if the keywords bids are already applied to the top of page!

Cross check the metrics: search impressions lost due to budget and  search impressions lost due to ad rank.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Two points:

I think you mistakenly picked grater than vs less than

No action chosen.

An  lastly, this is risky. Hardly any keyword can reach 100% impression share unless you have unlimited budget and you bid very high.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Scott,

What the other experts say is correct, and top of page bid isn't really what it says it is... I'm afraid. 

What you are trying to achieve would be easier with position based rules. You can set keyword bids to increase or decrease based on their average position.

For rules based on impression share, you would be better off setting it to a goal of 90%, and setting bids to increase by say 1 - 2% on a daily or weekly basis until you hit your goal.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy