AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Search Campaign Optimization Best Practice ??

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,
i am using Same Keyword with different match type in different Adgroup(I know its very old Technique to optimize) With Positive keywords of exact match Adgroup in negative keyword in Phrase match ad group and Similiarly For Phrase and broad match match adgroup .
But I am getting Some Problem with this type of optimization .. Most Of the Exact match Adgroup's keyword is not Triggring due to conflicting of keywords.

So i just want to know is there any other general Optimization Approach to Keep Quality Score High and CPC Low.
Please Share your Views

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Search Campaign Optimization Best Practice ??

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
quick question, are you adjusting your bid pricing, so that you bid higher for the [Exact Match] group?

I don't set up my campaigns in the manner you describe, but i have heard it can help you define what is the most lucrative and use bid adjustment to manage, I also hear people even separate these into individual campaigns instead to just ad groups to control a budget.

I set my ad groups up in a really tight focus of maybe 3-5 keywords per group with Exact match and broad match qualifiers, where my ad is tight to the keyword. I may have 50 different ad groups in a campaign, but I like to be as synced as possible with Ad/Keyword/Landing page to optimize for CTR and QS as possible,

Your method is not wrong, there are many ways to produce results, and it just comes down to what works best for your product/services and letting the Data ROI make the decisions for you.

So I would suggest FIRST, adjusting Bids and determine what brings the best conversion ROI numbers. At the end of the day, it's leads/sales that matter at the least expensive cost....

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanx Eric For Sharing your Experience.... Problem in the approach that i am following is ,i am getting keyword Conflict. Don't know what's the exact Reason Smiley Sad

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Shiv,

I put close knit into the same ad group so that only the ad group will be chosen for Displaying my ad.

I vary the Bids on the different match type.

[Exact match] - bid $10
Broad Match - Bid - $6
Phrase Match - Bid - 5

Or whatever, The conflict arrives when you have two or more keyword vying for the same action in either different adgroup, campaigns or even in the same group. Adwords will display the Keyword and Ad bases upon the one that has the Higher QS and Bid price.
Regardless of adgroup, or campaign, when you have like versions there are going to always be a conflict of one appearing more then the other. This is where you control what shows for you by you adjusting your bids.

Example 1: User type in Keyword 1
Ad group:
[Keyword 1] Bid $10 - QS 7/10
Keyword 1 Bid $10 8/10

In that case with same bid, the Broad match version will be displayed.

Example 2: User types in Keyword 2
Ad group:
[Keyword 2] Bid $10 - QS 7/10
Keyword 2 Bid $7 QS 8/10

In that case with different bid, the Exact match version will be displayed. (most likely) Because it has the higher bid price, even though the lower QS (Quality score).

You will have to adjust bids and test.

usually the Exact match is where you put a higher Bid, the Broad and Phrase Lower Bids.

You make your decisions on what version are more profitable for you based on Conversions and Ad cost. Work the ROI and let the data determine what is the best model to display.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Eric,
Now i came to know the Why i am not getting Impression Or Click.
Problem Is That:

If I Diagnose A Particular keyword in Ad preview
I am Getting A Message:
"Your ad is not showing for the keyword ABC ( Campaign Name >ABC-Broad )

A negative keyword ([lABC]) is preventing your ad from showing."

Logically it Should Pick Ad and Keyword From My ABC-Exact match Ad Group Not From ABC-Broad match Ad Group as i have Used |ABC| and "ABC" as Negative Keyword in Broad Match adgroup.

But Adword System Is Picking Keyword From Broad Match

Can you please help me how to avoid This Situation

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
The only thing I can suggest to test is increasing Bid on exact, and decreasing bid on broad as I described earlier., or bring all LIKE keywords into an adgroup as normal and adjust bids higher on exact and lower on broad

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanx a lot,i searched a lot about it and even asked google, but couldn't
get any clue. i think the only feasible option is "As you said". let me try
it and see ..

--
Thanx & Regards
SHIV BHAKER

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
HI Shiv,

I think problem is in your campaign structure. as you have mentioned

If I Diagnose A Particular keyword in Ad preview
I am Getting A Message:
"Your ad is not showing for the keyword ABC ( Campaign Name >ABC-Broad )

A negative keyword ([lABC]) is preventing your ad from showing."

can you tell the exact message you are getting or specify the keyword you added in negative.

regards,
Rahul Goel

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Shiv,

Don't know if you have resolved this yet?

Sounds to me like you may have your Negative Keywords at Campaign Level rather than at Ad Group level.

To check on this, scroll to the bottom of your Keyword list within the Ad Group | Click the + button and see whether the Negs are at Ad Group or Campaign level.

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
Hi Shiv,

I think you are facing this issue because your bids for the exact match type keywords aren't high enough. As you must already know, Exact match types can have very high CPC's (especially for Brand keywords) as compared to other match type keywords because of how specific the keyword is. Where as the CPC's for Phrase or Broad would be way lower.

I suggest you firstly increase your bid for the Exact match type keywords and keep them higher than the Phrase & Broad ones and test them for sometime. Secondly, if this doesn't help you, you should probably think about restructuring your adgroups as Eric does it for his accounts.

Eric's structuring method is the most sound and effective approach according to me, I do the same for all my accounts and it is yet to fail me.

Do let us know how to proceed on this.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"