Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Sanity Checking Best Course with Ailing AG

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Some months ago, I posted this:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Scope-of-quot-Lifts-quot-and-qu...

And I am also aware of this thread:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/New-Account-or-New-Structure/m-p/...

I didn't necessarily like the answers, because they didn't dovetail with the advice that I have previously received from pro adwords companies/consultants.

So I just want to revisit this topic, and see if the community wisdom has changed or evolved on this matter.

If I have an adgroup with some ailing quality scores and low CTRs, and I want to try a new array of ads...

Am I better off 1) scrapping the old ailing adgroup, and starting over fresh, or 2) should I just turn off the old ads, create the new ones, and keep truckin'?

It's really the same question that was previously asked -- is there any "halo" effect for strong performing ads and keywords that are grouped; or alternatively a "drag" factor for poor performing ads and words that are grouped?

Previous answers seem to focus at the campaign level.

But what about at the AG level?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Evan R;

History does count at the account level, but its effect  declines over time as the ad gains updated scores (CTR)

I'm not sure what's the difference between "scrapping" and "turn off". In terms of past history performance - removing and ad or pausing it -  is the same. Pausing will just allow you to reactivate the ad in the future should you choose.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

By "scrapping" I mean re-creating a new adgroup.

vs. Pausing/removing the ads, and keeping same adgroup. 

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

"History does count at the account level, but its effect  declines over time as the ad gains updated scores (CTR)"

Can you explain that a little more?

How much time is factored?

Or is it rather factored by number of clicks/impressions??? (ex. last 100 clicks/impressions)

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again @Evan R

Once an ad or keyword is not active anymore (either paused or removed) - its past performance  continues to play role in real time Ad-Qaulity calculation (though not significantly). This  declines  as time elapsed (naturally... the ad is "out of the game"....). Google does not disclose the time frame or the number of additional impressions. I assume a combination of both.

>>"The history of keywords, ad texts, and landing page is preserved when you restructure your account. This is also generally true when moving keywords and ad texts across accounts or into new ones (as the experience from a user's point of view remains the same). Experiment with improved account structures. You can always go back if they're not successful.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/156066?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

"Experiment with improved account structures. You can always go back if they're not successful."

This would seem to suggest that KW grouping and structure IS important... the halo/drag effect that I have inquired about, but that no one can confirm.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

"Google does not disclose the time frame or the number of additional impressions. I assume a combination of both."

Are we talking days, weeks, months, quarters, or years -- is there any sense at all of how long the effect lasts?

Knowing this might also probably be helpful in determining how long to wait before deciding that changes in landing pages and/or ad text have been success/failure. 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

No. You are missing the beginning of the sentence.

This refers simply  to moving KWs among ad-groups.. (i.e. QS "goes with the KW")

Honestly, my recommendation is  to focus on KW present performance (maily CTR) - this is the  metric to look at.

Also, I would recommend reading the full article I linked;

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

There has to be something else happening. 

I have KW with CTR > 5% .... which, from what I understand, is pretty good.

But they have a quality score of like 1 or 2.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Oh.. I have  had QS with 3 with CTR of 7 or 10%.....

QS is a relative metric.... There are verticals its really hard to match  the average competitors (especially the big budget ones)