Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Same set of keywords for different countries

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear all,

Background: I use around 250 keywords to advertise my website in 4 different countries. So what I did is that I have created 4 different campaigns with each having the same list of 250 keywords and each campaign targetting one country only.

The thing i am struggling with is to understand to what extent I can set up rules independently on the same keyword from one campaign to another. For instance, I create automated rules to lower/raise my max bids depending on the avg position of keywords. This is highly dependent on the country's competition for each keyword.

It seems that I can't make country specific (or campaign specific since I have one campaign = one country) AND keywords based rules to automate lower/increased bids. when I change the rule in one campaign it updates the others as well

Thanks all for your help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Same set of keywords for different countries

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi ExecBoard, welcome to the Community.

You should be able to create Rules for each Campaign, although I'll admit Rules' features for choosing Campaigns aren't perhaps ideal.  Have you tried using Labels?  I find these very useful for targeting Rules as you can specify a condition for Labels (contains all, contains any, etc).

Let's say you're targeting the UK, France, Germany and Australia.  I'd create a label for each of these, called something like "TargetUK", "TargetFR", "TargetGE", and "TargetAU" and apply them to all and any relevant Campaigns.

I'd then create two rules for each country, one to raise CPCs, the other to reduce them.  Each of these rules would have two conditions, the first being "Avg. position", the second being "Labels".  For each pair I'd set the Labels condition to "contains all" or "contains any" (it doesn't matter if you're using only one label) and pick the relevant country label.

With this setup you should have what you want.  Using Labels has the added advantage that if you create any more Campaigns for these four countries all you have to do is apply those labels to these new Campaigns and the Rules will be automatically - and correctly - applied.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cobnut,

thanks a lot for your insightful reply. i had not thought about labels. 

It seems to be what I need.I still have a doubt though:

Let's say, I am using the keyword "It Director" with 2 labels "TargetFR", "TargetGE" ,and I set 2 rules, one to increase my bid of 3 cents if I am lower than 5 avg position for this keyword and another to lower my bids of 3 cents if I am higher than 2 avg position for this keyword.

There is a good probability that I may be ranked higher than 2 in Germany and lower than 5 in France. So my rules would decrease and increase my bid on this keyword, making it unchanged, am I right? this is the very point I am trying to figure out.

Thanks a lot agaion for taking the time .

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi ExecBoard, no problem.

I may actually have overcomplicated things in my first reply, sorry.  I get a bit carried away with labels these days...

If you've got separate Campaigns for each country, all you need to do is have one pair of rules that operate on all enabled Keywords.  If the same Keyword in France and Germany have different positions, this pair of rules will work on them separately.

Labels might become useful if you have active Campaigns within your Account that you don't want affected by these rules, but you don't actually have to be as complex as I initially said.  You could manage this with just a single label "PositionRule" (or whatever you want to call it) applied to all Keywords you want affected by these rules.  Again, because you already have separate Campaigns for each country, the variations in position will be handled.

Is this clearer?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits