AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Same keywords with/without modifiers

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Can anybody tell me what will happen in this scenario:

I've 4 keywords:

1) hello world

2) +hello world

3) +hello +world

4) hello +world

if somebody enters broad term "hello world" in google search, then which keyword will be triggered - in case of very new campaign and also in case of already running campaigns ?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author utilitiesindia
September 2015

Re: When Several Keywords Match a Search Query, Which One is Used?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi utilitiesindia;

This is not an easy question.  The decision made by the system involves several parameters and in different scenarios. The underlying rule  breaks into 3:

• A keyword that most closely matches the query;
  • The most restrictive match type
  • The highest ad-rank

Understanding  how these work together, requires some learning. Here is a 3 part article on this topic:

1. When Several Keywords Match a Search Query, Which One is Used? - Part 1
  2. When Several Keywords Match a Search Query, Which One is Used? - Part 2
  3. When Several Keywords Match a Search Query, Which One is Used? - Part 3

(Many details involved. Make yourself a cup of coffee, and have some time without interruptions, before you dig into these articles Smiley Surprised)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Re: Same keywords with/without modifiers

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi utilitiesindia,

As per my understanding, Google triggers keywords with the tightest keyword match variation.

So, in this case +hello +world should trigger as it's the most tightest keyword match type in the given keywords list.

~Rehan

Re: Same keywords with/without modifiers

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

1) hello world : This will be eligible to trigger ads for any search query that contains "hello" or "world"

2) +hello world: This will be eligible to tirgger your ads for any search query that contains "hello"

3) +hello +world: This will be eligible to tirgger your ads for any search query that contains "hello" and "world"

4) hello +world: This will be eligible to tirgger your ads for any search query that contains "world"

This is what I know theoratically I have never used +sign with just one word in phrase as i belive that will generate a lot of irrelevant traffic

Hope this helps

Regards

Nik

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author utilitiesindia
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi utilitiesindia;

This is not an easy question.  The decision made by the system involves several parameters and in different scenarios. The underlying rule  breaks into 3:

• A keyword that most closely matches the query;
  • The most restrictive match type
  • The highest ad-rank

Understanding  how these work together, requires some learning. Here is a 3 part article on this topic:

1. When Several Keywords Match a Search Query, Which One is Used? - Part 1
  2. When Several Keywords Match a Search Query, Which One is Used? - Part 2
  3. When Several Keywords Match a Search Query, Which One is Used? - Part 3

(Many details involved. Make yourself a cup of coffee, and have some time without interruptions, before you dig into these articles Smiley Surprised)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Follow Up Sir MosheTLV: Having been said that the above question is not easy, have you ever tried that technique? This might be an overlooked niche if proven effective on a case to case scenario. Smiley Happy

More Power,
Loraine

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I talked to Google Adwords helpline and I was told similar explanation as given by Moshe.

In fact I did see it in action when I added a non-broad-modifier version keyword along with already running broad-modifier keyword, and to my surprise it was the broad modifier version got the clicks.

So it looks like Ad rank, quality score and/or restrictive match are considered.

I see a good potential to save money using such keyword combinations.