Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Same keywords with different campaigns directing to the same URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Team,

For example if am creating two different campaigns ( to differentiate two different levels of same service ) with the same keywords ( since they refer to same service ) and same destination URL.

What would be the best strategy to adopt in designing the campaigns so that the performance is not impacted?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I'm not sure I understand.... you have a service which you offer on a landing page... and this service is going to be searched for using a set of keywords. And then there are two levels of this service.

Surely this last piece of information could best be handled on the landing page since there appears to be no way prior to that whereby the searchers can be differentiated.

If this is correct, then perhaps you are complicating things more than they need to be.

If, on the other hand, these levels are significantly different as to attract - by way of search terms - then they should have different landing pages and ad copy written for each. But you will still not know where you should be sending each one from the search term alone.

Imagine a barrel full of rabbits - white ones and black ones. There is a cloth over the top of the barrel and you must put your hand under the cloth to pull out a rabbit. Then you must put the black rabbits in one cage and the white ones in another. There is no way for you to know if the rabbit you grab is black or white until you get it out of the barrel. This is the same thing (actually, it's not - it's completely different - but I trust you get my point).

If you try to pre-select your visitors, perhaps by clever ad copy - you will probably put off more visitors that might have chosen one service level by trying to select for the other. In the same way, if you decide you only want to pull black rabbits out of the barrel, you'll end up pulling none out - and if you do, you'll be wrong half the time.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Santosh,

You're creating 2 campaigns to target 1 or 2 webpages of your site, and everything else equal? That's not a very AdWords friendly arrangement and you'll be subject to various random events, like the very first random clicks perhaps giving an unfair advantage in terms of performance to one of the campaigns. I would suggest you to rather re-structure your website so that one campaign may suffice. 

Best,

Lakatos

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Different price points for service indicate that these are not in fact the same service... I think stickleback and Lakatos pretty much hit the nail on the head - Either advertise your brand/service more generically, and let the website sort the customers into each level of service. OR - Pick one level of service or another to advertise. For search network advertising at least.

Perhaps take a general approach to search, so anyone on your target market interested in any level of service can discover you. Then continue to build your remarketing lists, and specifically target users more likely to buy the premium service through remarketing.

Tom