Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Same keywords in different location

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone,

I want to improve an important French Campaign and I'm confused.

So, actually my company offer your service in 26 agencies in France and on Adwords account there are 24 ad groups (1 ad group for 3 agencies in Paris, and 23 others) in one Campaign location in France (very BAD!!!)

I want to move 23 ad groups in 23 campaign (and segmentend in different and specifically ad group and location).

Campaign #24 it's strange, because is the region Ile de France, and Paris is a big city.

In the search terms report I have long tail keywords without city, and keywords with city, only 60% in Ile de France and Paris.

I thinked to create:

1# Campaign Ile de France , location Ile de France with Paris

all keywords with Paris per adgroup

2# Campaing Paris, location Paris centre

all keywords long tail and specifics keywords per ad group

and, where I move all keywords of the rest of France searching keyword + Paris?

If I want to create same scheme for all agencies, I have problem for duplicate longterms keywords but with different location? Lyon, Bordeaux, Marseille and so on...same keyword without city and other with city....and in France the same...

Thanks

Marco

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Same keywords in different location

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello;
I am not quite sure I got the issue here;
Assuming that you can target in France by city ( a issue by itself, due to limitation of telecom infrastructure) - why, then, you can't set a different campaign for each location?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

I think you're asking if your campaigns will interfere with each other or if you will be in trouble for trying to "double serve" ads if you have the same keywords in different campaigns. 

If, as in your example, the different campaigns are all targeted to different physical/geographic areas, then there should be no problem.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,
Yes I haven't problem for to setup with different campaign.
When I started, into account had 5 campaign with only 1 target (France) , without location or regions.
But I have doubt for to improve with the same generic term for each campaign but in different location (answered by Theresa).

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Marco,

Here is what I understand . First of all some geography : France has 22 regions one of those is Ile de France, a larger region which includes Paris, so Marco is targeting the entire France.

1) "and, where I move all keywords of the rest of France searching keyword + Paris?"

You do not need supplementary keywords including Paris because the system will match

a person from Côte d'Azur  typing "service from Paris" to your Ads in the Paris campaign . This happens because the default setting is "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location (default)"

What I think you need is to exclude the word Paris from all the other campaigns to avoid any mismatch.

This is to avoid a person located in the Côte d'Azur to see ads from the Côte d'Azur campaign instead of ads from the Paris campaign.

2) You have a problem with Paris and Ile de France overlaping as Ile de France includes all Paris arondisments . This is solved by targeting just Paris in a campaign and excluding Paris from the campaign targeting "Ile de France". If you are having trouble setting this up, ask for a follow up explanation.

3) You can use same keywords in all the campaigns for the other regions. You do not need to include the regions name in all the keywords in a campaign because everybody from that region or the entire france looking for "service in Region 1" will be seeing Ads from campaign in "Region 1".

Give us some scenarios of what Ads from what campaigns you want your visitors to see after they type a particular "search term".

4) If you want you can also restrict visits per region so that people from Côte d'Azur cannot see at all Ads from the Campaign Paris, even if they type "service from Paris"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Exactly Theresa, thanks for reply.
So, I create
#1 RegionalCampaign (location: Ile de France with Paris) -
target location: People in, searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended)

Various ad groups with keywords + Paris

#CityCampaign (location: Paris)
target location: People in my targeted location

various ad groups with keywords (longterms and middle terms)

#National Campaign (location France, excluded Ile de France and Paris)
target: People in my targeted location

various ad groups with keywords + Paris

Is it correct? Isn't it?

If it's correct, I can duplicate same schema for all agency without problems, yes?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The best way to help us to help you is to offer some examples like this :

1) If the visitor is located in .......

2) and is searching for these words ...............

3) I want them to trigger this keyword..........................

4) from this campaign ....................... targeting this region .................................

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Marco, Are you planning to have different campaigns with same keywords targeting different regions? Is that what you are looking into? So far as per my experience, I have strictly followed different keywords in different campaigns. This distinctions helps marketers like us to identify individual keywords' performance across the campaigns and make necessary changes. You may also think of re-shuffling of keywords across the campaigns based on their performance.

With same keywords there is a problem: As per Google: Note that it's a good practice to avoid having duplicate keywords in your account as Google shows only one ad per advertiser on a particular keyword.

I hope this helps.

Kapil M

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Marco,

In your last message ( appearing as no. 6 in this discussion ) , you are presenting a different scenario. 

Now you are writing about only 3 campaigns covering the entire France. Conclusions 

1) In this case regarding "I can duplicate same schema for all agency without problems, yes?"

If your 3 campaigns cover all france for all your keywords, than duplicating the same setup with 3 campaigns for all the agencies seems redundant. You want to have multiple campaigns targeting Paris for example for all your agencies and why ? Do those "agency campaigns" have different keywords ?

2) Regarding your scenario this I think will happen :

a) Campaigns 1 and 2 will overlap because Ile de France includes Paris, unless you forgot to mention that for the "Ile de France campaign" you want to exclude Paris as a location.

b) The national campaign will receive visits from all cities except Paris or Ile de France. If somebody outside Ile de France searches for "your keywords+Paris" , they will be directed to Ads from the campaign "Ile de France". They will not be directed to the Campaign "Paris" because that one is restricting visitors to only those physically located in Paris.

I feel like there is still a big cloud of confusion over what you want to setup, how and why.

[edit]

I would add that you can ask the same type of question in the AdWords French forum and gather advice from there also :

http://www.fr.adwords-community.com/

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, thanks everyone for help me.

Exactly, the company have 26 agencies in 26 provinces, (in french are département) in 19 Regions.

14 Regions have 1 agency and Ile de France have 3, Provence 2, Alsace 2, Aquitaine 2, Rhone Alpes 2 agencies.

So, the Company offers translation services, I have this scenario:

Note: CPC difference between translation service (TOP50) and translation service in paris (long term) is important.

Example: I want to trigger this keyword: Translation Service

1) Visitor Located:  PARIS city

Searching: “translation service”

From: Campaign “Paris”, Ad Group “Services”, kw “translation service”

Targeting: Paris city - (1st option) People in, searching for my targeted location

2) Visitor Located:  PARIS city

Searching: “translation service in paris”

Targeting: Paris city - (1st  option) People in, searching for my targeted location

3) Visitor Located:  PARIS metropolitan area or in the same region (Ile de France)

From: Campaign “Ile de France”, Ad Group “Services”, kw “translation service”

Targeting: Paris metropolitan area – Ile de France - (2nd option) People in my targeted location, Excluded Paris city

Here we have 1 agency in another deparment

4) Visitor Located:  PARIS metropolitan area or in the same region (Ile de France)

Searching: “translation service in Paris”

Targeting: Paris city - (1st option) People in, searching for my targeted location

5) Visitor Located:  LYON

6) Visitor Located:  different region we haven’t agency

7) Visitor Located:  different region we haven’t agency

From: Campaign “Generic Translation”, Ad Group “Services”, kw “translation service”

Targeting: All regions excluded the mine - (2nd option) People in my targeted location

If I'd add "translation service in + city" , this kw is more cheaper than TOP50, I'll duplicate campaign? or only ad group?