Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Same keywords, different categories

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all!

Situation: sometimes plumber campaign's keywords (such as "water heater repair", "water heater pump repair", etc) are triggering auto repair category requests, such as "2006 isuzy water pump repair".

Keywords have broad match.

Is my only option to include car makes and models in the negative keywords list?

Thanks!

D

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Same keywords, different categories

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Dimitry,
Welcome to the community.

You have two options. The first is, as you said, to exclude all car related (and other) terms. The second is to use a more restrictive match type. Broad match is ALWAYS going to bring a certain amount of unwanted clicks.

Here's a great overview of the 4 (5 really) different match types; https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Hope that helps.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

You can also underline the type of service in the Ad text or the text of the Sitelinks such as "Plumbing for your Home" to discourage clicks about car parts.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Painting flooring roofing just redo it now

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Already in place. People still clicking Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Dmitry,

I had faced similar issues regarding receiving unwanted clicks through broad match keywords. To counter this scenario, I adopted two different ways - 1) Including key exact match keywords 2) Inclusion of BMM keywords. In the latter, there is a chance of receiving unwanted clicks, however, in first you will receive dedicated traffic.

In the first case, you may also seen decrease in the clicks received on a daily basis. However, it helps in getting quality clicks. And quality is always better than quantity.

I hope this helps.
Kapil M