Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Same Keyword, Different Match Types in one Ad Group

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I know that there's already a lot of posts about this subject, but I haven't found much material that looks at this from a reporting/analytical point-of-view...

For reporting / analytical purposes, ideally, I want a search term that triggers my ads to be matched to the most restrictive match type. I intend to use the BBM matches mainly to explore new keywords through the search term report.

My goal is to optimize for conversions.

My questions is this:

According to the help center, "If you have multiple keywords that are the same (within the same ad group), the system will prefer to use the keyword with the more restrictive keyword match type." So does this mean that my bid for exact match does not necessarily have to be the highest, since the system would prefer to match to the exact keyword anyway?

I really want to make sure that a search term which exactly matches one of the keywords is matched to the exact keyword, in order to be able to safely evaluate the conversion value of a keyword.

It feels quite natural to me to always bid higher for exact match, then phrase match and lowest for BMM match. But I guess there's no reason to do this when the system automatically matches to the exact keyword even when the bid for the exact keyword is lower, is there?

Any insights on this always much appreciated!

Reinout

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Same Keyword, Different Match Types in one Ad Group

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Reinout, in theory, yes, the Keyword matching a Search term will usually be the one that most closely matches the search term (which, by it's nature, is often the most restrictive).  So a search for red shoes online should match to "red shoes" over +red +shoes.

However, AdWords does take other factors into consideration, including CPC and in some cases it could be that the broader match is a lower cost and it's hard to imagine a situation where deliberately forcing a higher CPC is a good move for AdWords.

Perhaps more importantly, I'm not sure what you can actually learn from this practice.  If you force the match, and one Keyword is profitable and the other not, all this actually tells you is that your approach is unprofitable, not that one Keyword or the other is.  It could be that if you'd allowed AdWords to decide which Keyword to match against, both would be profitable, or the one that wasn't in your test.

I'd usually recommend allowing AdWords to control which Keyword matches against a search term.  Over time and with significant data this is likely to give you a more balanced idea of which Keywords work and which don't.  When working with broader matches changes in Ad copy can be very important so it may be that you'll want to split these different match types into their own Groups to allow Ads better suited to those terms.

Analysis is of course very important, but I'd caution against doing anything for the sake of analysis that might actually harm bottom-line sales as it's then self-defeating.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

Yes, you are right in terms of AdWords will choose the most relevant match type regardless of the ad rank, but you should know also when several broad match keywords in your ad group broadly match a search term, the system will prefer to use the keyword with the highest Ad Rank.

The point here that you are bidding to compete with other advertisers not to compete with yourself. There's no need to increase bids for exact match type to make sure that they trigger ad instead of other match types, as adwords will do that automatically based on the role the most relevant match type regardless your ad rank.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rynout
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Reinout

The help center itself says "the system will prefer to use the keyword with the more restrictive keyword match type". Lets see an example to have more clarity on this:- 

Suppose you have two same keyword with different match types in an ad group: 

Keyword A :- [red shoes]

Keyword B :- {red shoes}

If all the factors like Ad rank, affect of ad extensions are exact equal for both the keywords a search query i.e.

(Ad rank & affect of ad extensions for Keyword A = Ad rank & affect of ad extensions for Keyword B), then there are chances that Adwords system will give preference to more restrictive keyword match type but if they are not equal then the keyword with higher ranking factor(Ad rank & affect of ad extension) will be given preference irrespective of the match types.

Hope this helps!

Abhishek 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Interesting to see the differences in all your replies.

Let's back up one step and agree on this:

When both the exact and broad version of a keyword (in the same ad group) are triggered by a search term, in determining which keyword to use, does Google consider the different CPC bids (A) or does it simply matches to the most restrictive term, regardless of the CPC bid (B)?

A or B?

Hope I've simplified this correctly.

Thanks a ton for your replies!

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
According to the Help Center Google will choose the more restrictive match type, but on rare occasions will choose the cheaper keyword with higher AdRank .
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Abhishek is correct;

We have discussed this in the past:

The keyword with the highest ad-rank will trigger the ad. The help center assumes that you would bid the highest on the most restrictive match type.

[edited to typo]

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Reinout, the answer to your question...

"does Google consider the different CPC bids (A) or does it simply matches to the most restrictive term, regardless of the CPC bid (B)?"

is really neither, or both, depending upon the your point of view, it's far from "simply" anything.  I'm sure you've read this help page:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

but it's important to note that this information carries a lot of approximations and refers to very specific situations and has several exceptions.  For example, the criteria for "most restrictive match type" is not, necessarily, the first consideration, and only applies when two Keywords contain the same text.

The decision on which Keyword to use as a match takes into account a lot of factors and this is why I would recommend allowing AdWords to make the decision, rather than trying to force a choice which may not be to the benefit of the Campaign.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits