AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Same Keyword - Different Match Type - But in two campaigns

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Okay So I have 2 Campaigns selling laptops. These two campaigns only have 1 keyword each, which is BUY LAPTOP

Campaign 1 - Modified Broad

+buy +laptop

Campaign 2 - Phrase

"buy laptop"

Objective: My goal here is to setup the campaigns in a way so that campaign 1 and 2 do not conflict with search terms such as "buy laptop bundle" (which will cause both to compete for this keyword." Basically I want the modified broad match keyword to NOT trigger anytime the phrase match could pick it up.

My solution: well my solution is to add "buy laptop" as a NEGATIVE phrase match to Campaign 1 - Modified Broad.  This way +buy +laptop could pick up any other search terms BUT the search terms "buy laptop" could pick up. is that correct?

Concerns: my concerns are there any negative or bad effects this could bring to my account that im forgetting? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Boyang S
April 2016

Re: Same Keyword - Different Match Type - But in two campaigns

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
One can structure the AdWords account in different ways.

You can create separate campaigns for different match types and uses different/appropriate match types as negative keywords. You can also create separate ad groups for different match types within the same campaign (with other match type as negative keyword) and you can also use the same keywords in different match types within the same ad group with different bids.

All these campaign structures have its own advantages and disadvantages. Creating separate campaigns or ad groups based on keyword match types (with other match type as negative) can make your account management easy, as you can easily monitor the performance of each campaign/ad group based on match type.

But the most important part is performance (conversions). Whichever campaign structure you use make sure you optimize your campaign for better results.

Deepak

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Boyang,

You negative keyword implementation as per keyword match type is perfectly fine.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Boyang,

I'm not sure your strategy will work. I think you will create a conflict by adding the phrase match as a negative. I would keep both keywords in the same campaign but I would set a lower bid on the BMM keyword to control the traffic. Most importantly, remember to monitor the search term report for both keywords and add negatives regularly.

I would love to hear how it works out. Keep us posted!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Boyang S
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
One can structure the AdWords account in different ways.

You can create separate campaigns for different match types and uses different/appropriate match types as negative keywords. You can also create separate ad groups for different match types within the same campaign (with other match type as negative keyword) and you can also use the same keywords in different match types within the same ad group with different bids.

All these campaign structures have its own advantages and disadvantages. Creating separate campaigns or ad groups based on keyword match types (with other match type as negative) can make your account management easy, as you can easily monitor the performance of each campaign/ad group based on match type.

But the most important part is performance (conversions). Whichever campaign structure you use make sure you optimize your campaign for better results.

Deepak

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you! @Deepak_V

Yeah I wanted to be able to control budget for the Modified Broad KW while giving the Phrase Match another budget. That's why it's in not only two separate two Ad Groups but campaigns as well.

But thank you for your help!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
hi Valerie

Thank you for your input. I see where you are coming from with this strategy. But I need to show different ads to different match type keywords as the Broad Match Modifier KW capture search terms with different intents that do not get addressed in the current ad group.