4.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Sales dropping like a stone... any advice appreciated

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can only speculate on the cause, but over the past week or so our sales have plummeted. Nothing has changed on our end, so I am really confused as to how I should procede. Anyone who wants to have a look at the site(michiganmushrooms.net), any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have one ad running. The same one has been set up with a $1/day bid for several months now and has been steadily driving at least 1 or 2 sales per day. I changed my bid to $4/day yesterday and set higher bids a few of our best keywords, but not one sale yet...  

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christopher W
September 2015

Re: Sales dropping like a stone... any advice appreciated

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Christopher,
First thing I would check, is your AdWords Conversion Tracking (or whatever tracking you're using) still correctly configured? Sometimes codes can get removed from pages and your metrics look worse, but sales are still coming in.
Secondly, are you using Google Analytics, or another 3rd party tracking/analytics program? If so, I suggest you look in there. Are users viewing different pages or staying on your site less or seeing less pages/visit? Have your Bounce Rates increased? Looking at these tools can give you valuable insights on how users are interacting with your site.
Have your page load times recently changed? I visited your site and it took a long to load for me, but could be my connection. Do you have a Webmaster Tools Account? It can help tell you your page load time.
I took a look at your site - is Paypal always the way that consumers could purchase from you? That could be shying potential customers away from purchasing from you. The transfer to Paypal also took a long time for me to load (but again, this could be my connection).
Also, if you're just looking at one week's worth of data, I would say that the data sample size may be too small. In order to really dive in and determine that I'd probably look at data that is statistically significant over time. Any chance this is just normal, year-over-year, or month-over-month, fluctuations?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well, I guess you have pointed out some uncomfortable truths, which I really appreciate.

First of all, I am ashamed to admit, that I don't actually have conversion tracking set up. It makes it a little tricky with the paypal buttons, since there is no 'checkout' page I can paste the app to. I could see when they click through to the 'products' page, but that doesn't tell me that they are actually buying anything.

This probably leads into the biggest problem, which you also pointed out, which is only having paypal buttons as a purchasing option. When we were starting out it seemed like the best option; much cheaper than any other 'cart' or method of payment. If I am honest with myself though, even I would be hesitant to buy products from this type of set up.

I absolutely do use google analytics, and a few others sporadically, but don't really keep a close eye on it when things are going well and sales are coming in. Looking at it now the time on my products page does seem a bit short: 1min30, down 10% over the past week. Maybe people are landing there and getting turned off by the lack of options...

I think I'm going to address the page load times today too, perhaps the slide show on the landing page increases the bounce rate? I kind of thought it might hook people in, to at least wait and see all the pictures, and perhaps be inspired to peruse further.

Looking at the load times on analytics I see that chrome loads each page in less than 2sec, but firefox takes over 10!?

Also, I think there must be some mitigating factors at work such as arrival of January heat bills and general economic malaise that are keeping sales down. All of our products are 100% luxury items when it comes right down to it. Things have waxed and waned like this before, so it's not too far out of the norm, but it just seemed really stark. Like one day 10 sales, next day 0...

Either way, I very much appreciate you taking the time to check out the site and offer some honest advice, even if it was kind of hard to hear, it's the truth and needs addressing. Thank you!

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Christopher,
Glad to help - but don't worry about about not having everything "optimal." Owning a site is a journey. The good news is that you're asking the right questions and willing to take action. I do advise that you continually monitor Google Analytics - in good times and in bad. Always understanding how your visitors are integrating with your site will help you make informed decisions over time.
One thing to consider, as you make updates and tweaks to your site and landing pages is that Google offers a free tool to evaluate how certain tweaks impact your conversions and on-site usability - Content Experiments. Might be something to check-out.

Google Content Experiments - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1745147?hl=en